Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Changing the Bridge Double Jazz Pup on a Fender AM DLX Pbass to a Stingray Style..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 25, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

-Is changing the bridge double jazz pickup on a Fender AM DLX Pbass (4 string) to a Stingray4 style pickup a good idea?
    -I want to get the stingray sound without getting a stingray.
    -I have a Fender AM DLX Pbass, is it an easy change from a double jazz humbucking pickup to a stingray style pickup?
    -I don't really need the sound of the jazz on my Pbass since I already have a Jazz bass for that.
    -Is the Stingray pickup the same size as the double J?
    -Has anybody ever done this, or done this the other way around?
    -Anybody have any Stingray style pickups for sale?(first I need to know if it's practical)

2. Jazzin'

Hmmmm.... Now that I look at each pickup, the stupid screw holes are different places:spit:
    Any MM style pups with the screw holes like this? (assuming that they are the same dimensions LxW)

3. Jazzin'

Here is a picture...
    [​IMG]
    they seem different:bawl:
    [​IMG]

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I'd suggest looking at a bass pickup website (www.bartolini.net for my faves) and getting the measurements. Then you can compare the sizes of the 2 pups and see if it'd be a drop-in fit.

Another alternative would be to see if you can re-wire the existing JJ pup. I had 2 J pups in a bass of mine, which I wired together in series, therefore more or less making a humbucker. You could wire up a 2-way toggle switch to choose between series and parallel for a little more flexibility. If this sounds interesting, the first thing you need to look for is whether or not the JJ pup has 4 wires coming from it. If it does, it should be a piece of cake (if you've ever soldered before). If not,you may need to modify the pup a bit, but either of those options are better than routing out the body for a new pup. Take a look and PM me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to help you out!