Is Classical thump a joke?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by notanewbie, May 26, 2001.

1. Ok I Know I may get killed for saying this but I am just learning about Victor Wootan, and I just found the Sheet Music for Clasical Thump ( the tabs are on this site but way off, alot easier than the real thing), any ways my question is, This is a joke right? I mean He does not really play this does he, I just stared at it for about 20 minutes and it gave me a pounding headache. I tried to napster it so I could get the timing right so I could learn it this afternoon( that was a joke) but it was not on there, does someone know where I can find it, if this really does exist? If someone Helps me out, maybe I will take the next month off of work and re tab it on this site. Anyway's this may be some kind of sick sick joke victor played on us so we spend are whole lives trying to learn this and never suceed. Please educate me about this song.
  2. foist of all, napster sucks my left so-and-so now because it's all filtered. go <a href="">here</a>, download the program and use it.

about classical thump... are you trying to kill yourself or what?
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's all about timing with hammer-ons. After abou the first 5 seconds, it's almost all open string hammer-ons. Get the timing down, and you're set...sort of.
  4. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Are you trying to mangle and disfigure your hands:confused:.....???
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The first time through the main riff is simple enough. The second time adds hammer-on's. The third trip through you not onl hammer-on, but you pull-off the note.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...seems more of a Technique debate...
  7. if you´re asking whether this song exists, then yes, it does... it´s on the cd show of hands. cool song! :)

where did you find sheet music for it?
  8. Classical Thump is actually a variation of a Bach piece. The tune is pretty easy to play, even without sheet music.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    1-4-5 progression in G, basically.

Gmaj, C5/7, and Ddom7. Basically.
  10. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah it's a joke...

a sick and twisted joke...

Wait a minute? What the ****? "The tune is pretty easy to play, even without sheet music"??!?!?!?! Classical Thump is easy to play?!? Man, suddenly I feel even more said about my skills. Damn I do suck.
  11. nah, i think everybody can play it IN THEORY. i seriously doubt anyone here can actually play the whole thing.
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well said.
  13. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    whered you find the sheet music for classical thump?
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And who was the nutcase who notated it?

15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a snippet of it notated on Vic's website in the open-hammer-pluck lesson. You'll recognize it when you hear it. As far as the piece's origin goes, it seems to be a mishmash of Bach stuff, but there's a little of Paganini's Caprice No. 1 in there as well.
  16. Dude, that song is out of hand. I get depressed when I hear that song it so good. I tried once and only once to sit down and learn it, didnt happen. ive learned to play many of jaco's tunes, but classical thump is no joke the hardest thing Ive ever tried to do.
  17. HEHE, ever tried playing Michael Manrings' "The Enormous Room"? ;-)
  18. I can play the first three times up to the end of the hammer on/pull off part. Don't get youself down if you cant paly it. Vic is an exceptional player
  19. Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    I don't think songs that require a $7,000 bass to play should count