Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Customizing a Fender Std. Jazz 5 String Worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4stringthing, Dec 30, 2001.

1. 4stringthing

4stringthing

May 10, 2001
    Arkansas
    Hey.....I need your guys' advice on something. I want to buy just a standard 5 string fender jazz bass and customize it. It would be blue agave (another name for baby blue) with a thumb rest, chrome pickup cover, and chrome bridge cover.
    If you click on the picture below, it shows an example of what I want it to look like. But is a Fender Std. 5 String any good? I know that there made in Mexico, but does that matter? I've played one in a local music store and it sounded pretty good to me. Thanks for any advice you can give.
    -Dustin

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it's all a matter of hear, hands and feeling with the bss. it doesn't matter where it's made or how much is it. i suggest you to follow your idea, if you want a bass that sounding and that looking you have only another option, custom made a bass with parts from Warmoth. check their website: www.warmoth.com

good luck!

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Actually, there are a LOT of options, depending on exactly what you want and how much you want to spend. Warmoth is a very good choice for a 5-stringer, but then, it is also a lot more expensive than a MIM Jazz. WD Products, Mighty Mite and others also produce bodies and necks that you can use to make a bass. On top of that, a lot of luthiers can make you a custom one, some of them for a very reasonable price.

Personally, I would not use a Fender 5-string for modifications, because they are not very good to start with, and changes will not improve it much. The total cost of the bass plus the mods will bring you within the price range of much better bass guitars such as the G&L 2500. In the end, you have to decide if it's worth it or not to YOU.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't even know if they make pickup and bridge covers for 5 string j basses, but the 4 string set is pretty reasonably priced ($40 i think).

if you like how it plays and sounds, go for it. a j-retro, nice pickups, and a decent fret leveling job or even a new warmoth neck (like wenge w/ebony :) ) would make the bass a serious contender.

jason

5. There are no pup or bridge covers available for the Fender 5-string basses.

As for them being no good. They are good basses. The MIM versions are not as good as the AmSeries, but for the money, they are very good basses.

There are some people that simply believe that you can't get anything good unless you pay a lot for it. That's their privelege if they wish to spend their money as such.
    However, always, and I emphasize ALWAYS, let your hands, ears and eyes, in that order, decide for you what you wish to play. Don't fall for the MONEY trap.

Good luck on your search for a 5-string.

6. It's just opinion on my part, but after playing some of the various Fender 5 strings, I've concluded the only Fender 5'er worth consideration is the Roscoe Beck V.

Customizing will ruin the resale value of whatever instrument you customize. Pick guards, etc are minor items, but when you start changing the electronics, many buyers will skip you entirely. I would.

If you really want something custom, why not do a Warmouth project? Get EXACTLY what you want, and a killer 5-string neck as a bonus. The Warmouth neck is nothing short of fabulous. A Frankenbass doesn't have any resale value to begin with, so you are out money no matter what. The trick is to build a "keeper" and get your money's worth from it.

You can get ANY configuration of wood, electronics, pickups, tuners, bridge, etc etc etc.