1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Dean Better Than Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    I was just at guitar center and saw a Squier Standard Precision Special V bass, i didn't get the chance to play it cause a guy was using it for like an hour so I just left but it sounded great, I was considering buying one off of there website or ebay but then I came across a Dean Motto TRD Bass for cheap, I just don't know which is the best one? Any suggestions?:bassist:

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I work at a shop that sells both. most of the <$500 deans are in terrible need of a fret levelling and nut slot deepening straight out of the box. all of the squiers, except the mustangs, have only needed minor bridge adjustment out of the box. the pickups on the squiers are, for the price, fantastic. the dean pickups are only useable again until you get up over five hundos.

the biggest suggestion is: do not buy a guitar online ever. try it out in person, if it's good, you can't guarantee that its sister will be nearly as good.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    In my experience, I have found Dean to be lacking when compared to Squiers. Squiers are good instruments for the money. Deans are just... crappy.

4. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I've yet to play a Dean that is anywhere near a Squier in quality, even an Affinity is better than the Dean.

Buying in person is nice but not always an option, unless it's a Fender, I've got to order everything online.

5. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    :bag:
    Yeah man thats all I've been hearing! I've only played one but the quality just wasn't there I felt...

6. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    I started with a Dean Edge 08 and upgraded to a Squier VM jazz. I know they're in different price levels but the squier is leagues better, and I feel like there are some parts about it that can near rival my Status, though it is definitely nowhere near the Status in overall quality, craftsmanship, materials, etc. That said, the Dean wasn't necessarily a terrible instrument. It did its job as a beginner bass for me and if I could for some reason only own that one, I'd be content to at least have it. Not my first choice but its adequate.

7. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Yeah I agree, I do the same exact thing! Sometimes there's a bass you really want online but dont have the option to try it out near you because it's not available where you reside. I live in Utah and everytime I go to a guitar center, pawn shop, or music store they never have any of the basses i would like to try!

gebass6 likes this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Squier hands down. I own and play a squier P all the time, it was my first bass, and IMO it has the dean beat no contest. I've never owned a dean but almost every time I saw one in GC and such I would pick it up and play it for a little bit. I have to say they make some cool LOOKING basses but the quality is shotty. A squier on the other hand is very hard to beat for what you're getting. They are great instruments. I've modded mine so much it's not so much a squier anymore. They're great basses, it's hard to go wrong. Dean, on the other hand, I have to beg to differ that they can EVER beat out a squier in a shootout.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I've bought dozens of basses online, and have never been unhappy.

gebass6 and Fat Steve like this.
  10. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Are the Mustangs better or worse on average?

11. Me too, but with me, it was 4 basses and two guitars, and I've been quite happy with them all. Trying them "live" first is of course the best way to do it, but people like me don't have that option. I find, if I do my research on the instruments I'm interested in (I read every user review I can get my ands on, filtering out the useless "this bass sux/rulz reviews) and only buy from reputable online dealers I'm familiar with. I've done quite well this way.

12. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    Dean quality is varies greatly between models. A dean Hardtail bass, discontinued model but can still be found, is one of the best under $500 basses I've played. The Dean Q4 Bartolini, which at one point a few years back could purchased from Amazon for $129, is the best under $150 bass I've played and would hold up against any bass in the $300 to $500 price range. The lower end Deans like the edge series are much more hit or miss. I don't have much experience with Squiers and cannot comment as to their quality.

13. I had a used Dean with EMG's (Korean model) that was very usable and was on par with my Fender Am sp. Jazz at the time. I paid $69.00 w/hsc for it at a pawn shop and ended up getting $100.00 trade for it when I bought my Flying V. Deans have a bad rep but they are not terrible for an entry level instrument. A mid level Squier ($300.00 range new, $200 range used) is a very well made instrument with a lot of nice features. I do recommend buying a very inexpensive bass and then saving $ for a bass that you really want rather than buying something new for a couple of hundred that you will not be happy with. You can get some really great used basses for $500.00 on the GC website. There is Lakland 44-01 in excellent shape for $499 there are Highway ones for 5-6 hundred, there are SG specials at $500, frequently you can get Godin's used for $200 used online is great and if it is not what you expected you can return it.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    See my "Bought a bass last week..." thread.
    I wouldn't trade my Dean Motto for a Squier Jazz bass, VM or CV. I wouldn't even trade it for a standard Fender MIM Jazz bass. I went to Guitar Center today to buy a really nice used MIM Jazz in wine red...beautiful guitar for $349. Turns out they sold it Saturday, and I'm glad they did or else I might never had tried the Dean. I wanted one awhile back but couldn't afford $599. Good things come to those who wait because I got it today for $279!
    And it's flawless.
    Sure, that's just my opinion, but whose opinion is more valid than mine?
    Unless it's yours, of course.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  15. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Its always good to try them out first especially to see if the neck feels good to you. But I have never had a bad experience buying stuff online, most retailers have low risk or risk free return policies. Just make sure you know what the policy of the particular retailer you're buying from is before you buy. Good luck.

16. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    back in the late 90s I had a dean edge Q5 with EMG's that was a pretty good bass,
    I should have never sold it,but back to today Squier hands down. today's deans can make great boat oars!

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i played an excellent dean, but maybe it had a major setup or it was one of the one's the company previews for guitar center that was perfect, not sure

18. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    I used to sell basses semi professionally and I can say that I've played several under $400 Dean basses that came out of the box with near perfect set ups. I've also played others that needed a fair amount of work to make them play well. Their qc is hit or miss.
    The Eric Bass (pronounced like the fish) signature Hillsboro is a great instrument. I don't know poopie about Shinedown or their bass player but Dean put together one hell of a nice bass for him.