Is diamondkote the strongest finish for fretless(ebony) fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nothingman78, May 1, 2002.

1. nothingman78

Feb 27, 2002
    what is diamonkote?
    is it different as polyester finish?
    is it better than polyester? or polly-urethan?
    (or polyester and polly-urethern are same thing?)

are ther any difference between diamondkote and
    pollyster finish? and which one is the strongest finish for (ebony) fretless fingerboard(using roundwound strings)? diamondkote or pollyester?

I heard "Pedulla" fretless bass(ebony fingerboard) is coated diamondkote...
  2. I was told the same thing, If you hear anything to confirm or otherwise, please pass it along! :)
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just curious why you want to coat your fb ?
  5. I like the sound of roundwounds on my fretless, but after a while it does tend to eat up the board.

I got the epoxy finish as an 'alternative' and choice for me -- I have 2 nearly indentical Fender J-basses and got the finish on one neck and kept the other natural. I use rounds on the exoxy neck and flats on the natural.

The sound of the natural is more 'old school' fretless - woody, deep and sometimes boomy. The rounds on the epoxy finish is very bright - almost to the point of mimicing a 'slap' or 'pop' when wanted. It lets me really stand out in the mix in the fusion quartet I play with. I can get as aggressive as I want with my attack and the epoxy board could care less. That being said, you can get nice mellow 'mwah' from the board with proper technique.

I don't know if I'd want the exoxy board as my ONLY fretless, but I love having the choice.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  7. David McCannon

David McCannon

Jan 24, 2003
    Does anyone have a source for purchasing DiamondKote? I've searched the internet and come up empty.

8. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    DiamondKote is Pedulla's cute name for polyester. SimTec Coatings ( is a good source for all sorts of polyester finishes.
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm going to revive this because I plan on having the ebony fingerboard of my Carvin coated. I heard epoxy doesn't stick well to ebony and I don't think my luthier will do epoxy. I want Diamondkote but can it be found at hardware stores? Is it really just a fancy name for Pedulla's polyester finish?

Will a polyeurethane finish do just as well? Can I find those at hardware stores? Are there any other alternatives?

Thank you
  10. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    FWIW, I have a fretless (neck by Dolan, body by Warmoth, finish by Wilkins) with an ebony board that has a polyester coating on it, and I love it. Playing it right now as I read your post, in fact... ;)

If your luthier doesn't do polyester but you'd like it done, consider Pat Wilkins, as he's great (in case you don't know, he does Sadowsky's finish work -- and I believe Roger has the polyester put on his fretlesses, too).

Sean Mc
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    He never said he WOULDN'T do polyester, or epoxy. But a while ago I contacted and he said he wouldn't recommend epoxy on ebony because it would sound quacky.. and when i said well for protection too he said DB's don't need epoxy... Anyways I have to call him to ask for the polyester/polyurethane/epoxy but he's literally IMPOSSIBLE to reac, I've been trying for about a week.

I would like to have it done here in Montreal to avoid shipping/USD etc. And if I were to send it to the states I'd probably send it to Pedulla but thanks for the suggestion.