1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is "Drive" any good

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mybass23, May 3, 2006.

1. mybass23

mybass23

May 3, 2006
    I was looking into an amp/guitar package that comes with a rogue 4 string bass and a 20w Drive amp. My friend says that it must not be any good because he's never heard of it. Is he right?:confused:

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    it would be a good combination for somebody who is just starting that doesnt need to play with a band.

20 watts will not be enough to play with a drummer. but rogue is a good bass, definatly alot like ibanez, which i started on. actually last night i played on another guys ibanez because i was liking the tone he had.

3. mybass23

mybass23

May 3, 2006
    thnx that took like 1/2 a min for a reply............impressive!

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Regardless of how good or bad it is, you're not likely to find anything cheaper to start with brand new (and maybe not used).

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Never actually played a Drive amp, but I have played lots of other low end stuff.

It's low end, but if you're expectations are appropriate, and it's just for learning / bedroom practice, it should be ok.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ...if not you can always use it for a wheel chock ... If you're just getting started and need to be able to hear yourself run scales and patterns, really anything is fine. If you get hooked, you'll find your way to a better rig down the road.

7. Yeah, don't expect it to follow you into band stuff, but it's more than good enough. A bit of audible sound should do at this point... just play!

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have a 10 watt drive amp. It's pretty bad. Crackly, and overheats VERY easily. I think you'd be better off with something like an Ibanez amp.

I don't like those Rogues either. You'd be much better off with an Essex/SX bass.

9. cavemanfr

cavemanfr

Jun 3, 2005
    Indiana
    I had a 120 watt with 2 12s and it smoked in 20 minutes. I turned the drive down and white smoke came out of the top of the amp. I replaced it with a Fender Rumble 100 and never looked back.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think you could do better. I really don't like Rogue basses; I have an Ibaniz and it sounds a lot better. I like the Fender Rumble series as well for low end stuff, and Peavey stuff.

11. Id like to point out that ibanez are by no means jus an entry level manufacturer

12. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I had a 30 watt drive as my first amp, and it did the job pretty well... Perfect for learning on, and in practice if your bandmates are not too loud.. It does get a bit farty if you turn it up near the max, but for the most part it's an excellent practice amp for the price.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you want something decent and inexpensive, get a small Peavey and an SX.

14. ibanez does have some entry level stuff, good for starters. but yeah, they also make really nice botique quality basses. maybe play a squire or get something at a pawn shop. thats always a fun gamble. but as for the amp, fender rumbles are good for starting off, its really hard to go wrong. but if a fellow TBer says white smoke came out of a product that they owned, id believe them.

15. What i had as a starting amp was a peavey rage 158 guitar amp, now on clean it was fine aslong as you didnt turn up past about 7 or 8 on the volume

And the bass i used was an old(ish) Ibanez TR-50, that i got dead cheap out of a pawn shop

I know you guys say never to use a guitar amp for bass, but that little thing is still going and was the only amp i used for almost two years, and that bass was pretty good aswell, was much easier to play than my friends squier and it sounded better too :D

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I started out for a few months without an amp. It was rough!

When I finally got an amp, it was from one of my dad's friends. It was the Gorilla-5. 5 powerful watts...

17. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

18. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Peavey microbass is what you need.

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The Ibanez Sound Wave series is a good stater amp. I had an SW 65 for my first bass amp and it was a good sounding and reliable practice amp. I was also able to use it as a stage monitor at church.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Just noticed your sig for the first time. That's hysterical.
    Is that an authentic Munji quote?
    That is insanely funny.