Is Epi U410 the Right Decision for Me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassScum, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    Okay, I've read most all the posts, reviews, etc. But so many differing opinions leave me unable to decide. So I thought I would post my own questions regarding the Epifani UL410 4 ohm. I play a wide variety of classic rock. I use a LMII (which I love). I use a MM Stingray 4, and a custom made PJ with emgs. I use a pick and finger style. I want a standalone 410 4 ohm. I want nice bottom rumble along with decent mids and highs. Is this cabinet for me? Good for classic rock? I will be looking for a used on. Thoughts please.

2. As much as I love the 410UL, and the pairing of that cab with the LMII or F1, I'm not sure I'd recommend that rig, combined with a MM bass for classic rock. It's big and wide and pure, and with the LMII, it's a beautiful funk/pop cab (big bottom, pure top end, and just a touch of scoop that makes it very smooth sounding). However, I wouldn't really call that rig 'rock punchy', especially with a wide voiced bass like the MM basses.

For your playing context, low mids are key (IMO!), and the 410UL (I or II) is not known for low mid punch (and the LMII/F1 low mid control is not quite in the right place to fix it IME).

With the LMII, I actually prefer the Bergantino AE410. It has a very punchy low end, which can get plenty bit (but stays tighter than the 40UL), and the aggressive upper mid grind can be perfectly controlled by the LMII's upper mid control.

The AE410 won't 'boom' way down low like the 410UL, but in a mix, I don't think you'd really miss it.

IMO and IME.

3. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    Thanks, KJung. You are exactly the TBer I was hoping would reply based on your experience with the LMII and Berg's and Epi's

4. It's all great stuff, and it's not so much 'good or bad' as the mix and match of bass, cab, amp and playing context.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021