Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Epiphone Thunderbird good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diobassist, Jan 21, 2005.

1. diobassist

diobassist

Jan 2, 2005
    Finland
    Oppinions please- I like the look and prize of this bass. Is it any good? I like to play rock, and i think its quite good for it....

Thanks

2. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, they're good for the money, but you might want to splurge and go for the Gibson.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like them, but take issue with the floating 3 point bridge. Seems like a terrible idea to me.

One of the reasons I'm partial to them is that I like darker sounding basses, and have unfortunate physical requirements of my basses, which, by chance, the Epi T-bird meets. If I were to get one, it'd be to string it BEAD.

4. Getserious

Getserious

Jan 21, 2005
    i was thinking of getting one too whats with the three point bridge

5. diobassist

diobassist

Jan 2, 2005
    Finland
    Im also seeking for a little bit darker sound bass- doesw it have that sound without dropping its tuning?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a floating bridge, and a thin one at that.

7. I had 1 for a while. It was way too light and the bridge is frankly terrible.. There's very little tension on the low E which was a bugger as I play drop-D.

It just felt like a toy bass. Bear in mind I play Fender so I'm used to having a heavy resonating instrument round my neck.

So it had to go!

Also, I got to try a real Gibson T-bird recently... It felt very similar.

Try out the Epiphone Elitist T-bird. They're quite expensive (about £800) but they're a close copy of the old 60's T-bird which I think is better in all respects.

8. Spanky2112

Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I got a epi T-Bird for Christmas. I really like it a lot. It's light with a sweet sunburst. It growls like a wolf too.
    Go to www.harmonycentral.com and look at the reviews for it.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Gonna put together a Warmoth T-Bird...either a Warmoth neck or maybe a Moses graph. on it...dunno. P+P config...should be cool....

10. when i was searching for my first bass recently i played on ein a local shop and loved it so ive bought a second hand one from ebay and cant wait for it to arrive!