Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Eric Clapton hurting for money?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Has anyone else been wondering what's with all the commercials featuring Eric Claptons music just lately?

I've heard 'Layla' in two. Three if you count the acoustic version as well. I've heard 'Wonderful Tonight' in four or five. The other day I heard 'After Midnight' in a commercial again, and "Crossroads' in another one.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Maybe...but doubtful in my book.

Although I know a large majority of it went to his personal Antiqua (SP?) Charity I'm sure he did pretty good off the Crossroads Tour/Festival.

I haven't heard any of the commercials yet, but he's got a new effects pedal out that I see ad's for all over the place.

3. Maybe it's EC's plan to drum up for the sales of the soon to be recorded Cream DVD?

Or maybe he doesn't own the music and the owner is the one licensing the songs out?

Or maybe it's going to be like when he won 68 Grammies in one year and they take a picture of him buried under a mountain of them.

Or he could be getting the money and donating it to the Crossroads center thing. How much did "Blackie" end up going for?

4. george bensons...well some cheesey cover of Give Me The Night is in a Ferrero Rocher ad

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i know he was knighted recently and the queen asked him what he did for a living

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldent think so.

7. i guaruntee that he isn't hurting for money. i know that he really has been working on raising a lot of money for his drug center, which is cool, i know that digitech just came out with a signature effect pedal for clapton, and all the money for that is going to the crossroads center.
    i think that is a good thing...finally a rich musician is realizing he can do something worthwhile with his money.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    He's not hurting for money. He wants MORE money. Diversification is the word here. Can't blame him there!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I was a famous musician and near (or at) the end of my career, I'd whore myself out constantly. It's the biz.

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I wouldn't say he's at the end. He gets calls and pops up on CD's all the time. He IS an industry standard. And I'm not really a fan!

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    my .02
    He could probably burn money in the fireplace if he wanted to. I gotta agree with Mr. Till here. He knows he's on his way out - so to speak. I bet he's just trying to stuff that legacy up as full as he can before it's over.

12. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the songs are in commercials for the same company.

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I think all the songs are in SBC commercials. I highly doubt that Clapton is short cash. Can't blame him for putting his stuff out there for commercials, though. I grateful to Townsend for putting Who songs in ads everytime I hear "Happy Jack" in that Hummer commercial (and I HATE Hummers....at least the SUVs). Makes sitting through commercials MUCH easier.

14. The guy has auctioned off a few million dollars worth of guitars and donated the money to his charity- but yet HE wants "MORE money?"

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Hell, yeah. If I were him, I'd do it.

16. I think he just wants to give more to the charity while maintaining a high standard of living and recognizability for himself. I have tremendous respect for him selling his favorite guitars for his charity... I probably wouldn't sell my first Squier if I'd become that famous... too attached to them!

17. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    +1

18. Not that he hasn't had his share of stinkers and clunkers in his 40+ year career, but he's always seemed to maintain his integrity- even while mackin' on his best friend's wife. :) This is the guy who walked away from chart success with the Yardbirds, the guy who walked away from being "God" with John Mayall, the guy who walked away from Cream because of a bad review, the guy who managed to kick a heroin habit and a major drinking problem, lost his son, created a foundation to get people off the destructive path he'd been on, auctioned off guitars that were synonymous with the man and his bands, guitars that he's had since most of us here have been alive to support that foundation.

As Muzique Fann points out, his fortune is secure, his legend is secure in rock and roll, and the Crossroads foundation is his legacy of giving back.