1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is excessive spam actually counter-productive for a business?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Oct 21, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    A few weeks back I signed up to a newsletter from a website because I was thinking of placing an order with them when I'd done a bit more shopping around/web research. The newsletter was supposed to contain details of special offers. I wasn't aware of signing up for anything else, or any options for frequency of contact.

Since then, my inbox has been bombarded with all sorts of crap by this outfit, using every old underhand trick to get me to place an order. On some occasions I've received six or maybe seven emails in a 24 hour period. Have they got their system set up wrong or something? Or does this actually work for them in some instances? It certainly hasn't worked with me. I just unsubscribed from their mailing list (I hope) and I would rather pay double elswhere than spend any of my money with a crappy business like that.

Are they stupid? Or somehow very clever?

2. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Depends on the client base. If you're not in the target public, they might be making a ton of money off those who are, and displeasing those who aren't is part of the goal.

It you are the ideal customer, however, then they're making a huge mistake.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a big mistake IMO. The only company that I tolerate it from is Sierra Trading Post, because I do actually order from them on a regular basis, and their emails contain really good coupon codes. But even they tick me off, because it's not like I can order every freaking day! From companies that I will only order from once or twice, I unsubscribe ASAP.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The only people I can stand this from are GC and MF - and even they can be too much at times. That said, it's always nice to have a 15% off code handy on a rainy day :D