1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Fender Aggressive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor Intrepid, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Yep

58 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Nope

51 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Roasted carrots

78 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    As the title indicates, I am curious as to whether you think Fender aggressively pursues bass players? When I ask I don't think this is a bad thing. It is better than being ignored, as seems to happen with Gibson. I am also not suggesting that Fender needs to persuade folks that their basses are good. No one would deny that Fender basses are good, even if one does not prefer them. Plus many famous bass players seem to choose them freely.

Nonetheless, it seems that Fender aggressively pursues the bass player market. I assert this in part due to the many bass player signature models they offer. This is in part because so many bass players use Fenders, but I don't see other manufacturers building signature models to the same degree (I'm looking at you Gibson, Rickenbacker and Hofner). But they also seem to go out of their way to hook new bass players onto their instruments. I'm thinking of them building a few special basses for Mike Kerr of Royal Blood. He seems to like Guilds and humbuckers, but Fender volunteered to build him some humbucker basses which is not their usual thing. That is cool.

Anyway, just an observation I had and I wonder if anyone else has observed it also. Again, it is not a bad thing. It is nice to be pursued and seduced.

2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Quite possibly. You raise some good points.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  3. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I think all brands want loyalty. Maybe Fender is just better at it than others?

Uncle Sam.jpg

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    They just want to make money and sell basses.

5. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, if businesses are not trying to make money they are not a business. They would be a sad thing. That is obvious. Are Fender more aggressive at it than others? Better at it?

6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Fender is a big enough company that they have the budget to do substantial marketing and advertising. Their online presence is significant - not just in advertising, but also in their Fender Play app, a robust website, and tracking data.

They also have a well regarded artist relations program. And this goes back to when Leo Fender was getting started in the 40's and 50's - he would go to jazz clubs in Southern California and engage players to try his amps first, and then the instruments, too. When Fender got bigger I believe Don Randall was doing a lot of this kind of outreach. The program now reaches out to players at varying levels of success, and they've been able to sustain it as the MI business and instrument aesthetics have changed over time.

So I don't know if I would necessarily call them aggressive so much as they are engaged with the people who have a significant profile and are playing their instruments.

pcake, M0ses, thetragichero and 11 others like this.
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    They are quite... passive(?)... as compared to how Subway pursues eaters and Ford pursues drivers.

8. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I was walking by their place and they came out growling and bit my leg. I was justifiably horrified, but it won't stop me from playing their stuff exclusively.

9. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    A good CIA trick is to make three right hand turns... If Fender is still behind you then they are definitely stalking you. You're welcome.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i voted the "roasted carrots" option because i don't know. that said: the 'fender contingent' on TB sure shows signs of one-world, kool-aid drinking, blind, zombie-like allegiance to the brand. :laugh: i kid.*

* not!

11. They are agressively priced, thats for sure.

murphy, AudioTaper, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  12. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I think that as the big dog on the block, they take active measures to keep it that way. They bought out a significant amount of the competition already, but still have plenty of other companies trying to get their customers. Brands like Sire, Cort, Schecter. EBMM has been nipping at their heels for decades. They occupy a certain amount of market space and don't want to lose any ground. They use deals with artists to do that, in part. It works, too.

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  13. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    I guess they try to expand their customers type. I went to a store and tried a Jazz Bass Ultra V this week. They really stepped up their game. It actually feels like a boutique bass. Finally a Fender bass thats worth the 3k price (CAD). The low B was really good, awesome. And that is a thing I never thought would be possible. It felt in the same ballpark as Lakland, Sadowsky, Fbass or such. Fender has always got me for vintage stuff (classic 50s P, Original 60s Jazz) but I always went elswhere (Yamaha, Ibanez, Fbass) for 5 string and higher quality stuff.
    With the Ultra, they got me in this market.

Wambemando likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fender was the first major player in the market. They would be crazy not to maintain their market. Same reason Cadillac is "aggressive" toward luxury cars, not sub-compacts.

M0ses, pcake, Rezdog and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I know some folks who work at Fender in Scottsdale, including one former bandmate who has a really good job in something related to their marketing.

They are a "company," not an "instrument manufacturer." They do what companies do to survive and grow. Targeting as many segments as is feasible and fits into the corporate plan.

M0ses, wes stephenson and MattZilla like this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Not in my case.
    A neck through six string with a satin finished natural walnut body with no pickguard has been released.

StringJunky likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They did have the Heartfield line for a while, don't know about walnut, but they did pursue that kind of market and stiffed.

18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Didn't that happen in the mid 90's?
    I never saw any advertisement for it.
    And I was big into Bass Player Mag back then.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Fender has had nearly 70 years to ingrain a tonal range into our ears. They just wanna make bread off the turf they’ve owned.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It did happen then, but I can't tell you about their marketing.