Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Fender Custom Shop Basses worth the higher price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I started an earlier thread on which bass I should get but I need to know whether you really can tell the difference between a Fender Custom Shop Bass and a American Deluxe? Thanks.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have played both and happen to own a MIA DLX jazz. Even the high end DLX basses don't come close to the sound of the CS stuff. Most of the CS stuff I have played have been passive basses. I don't know what Fender is doing but the sound, feel and playabilty of these animals is awesome. I was pretty close to pullin the trigger on a 64NOS jazz (dents and dings from abuse and all) but the rep is not coming down enough. I refuse to pay $2200 bucks (after taxes) for a bass that will need to be repaired! and this is a new bass on the shelf!.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    some of the Fender CS stuff (relics, closet classics, etc) is amazingly cool stuff and nails the vintage vibe... I would never pay that much for a relic, however. I would save up for the real thing... I would, however pay that much for a closet classic!

P@

4. As I said in your other thread, the Custom Classic is the best new Fender I have played by far, and i.m.o. it's the quartersawn neck that makes the difference. It will cost you though.
    BTW did you consider the Marcus Miller V ? That's a much better 5 string jazz than the AM. dlx. and a very versatile bass, and a lot cheaper than a custom shop bass. Sounds awesome. They did a good job on that one. Much more jazzbass than an Am. dlx ,and it's a made in the USA bass. Much better than the MIJ. Marcus Miller 4. I would seriously consider the Marcus Miller 5 if I were you.

5. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Have you tried the Custom Classic V? Is the neck very wide? How is the electronics I can't tell if they are custom noiseless p/u or just regular noiseless ones?