1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is Fender dropping the 24/24V Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMcC, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    It's not on the website. Musiciansfriend and guitarcenter are offering the 24 V in flat black for $549, which I think is a STEAL, but the sunbursts are nowhere to be found.

You know, with all the "Fender is out of their minds" talk, the 24 seemed like a better choice since they didn't jack up the price on those but maybe $100 or so. I used to have a 4 string in sunburst and I must say you get a lot of features and a pretty damn fine tone.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I hope not. I think it was one of the better "budget" Fenders. The matte black is still the coolest looking black bass, other than the Bongo, IMO.

Hopefully this is an error on GC's part, which isnt uncommon! ;)

3. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    If it is, Musiciansfriend has made the same error.

4. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    i was under the impression it was like a B-stock thing, and thats why there was no sunburst. I hope this is the case because i would like to get that sometime, when finances allow it.

5. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    I thought that too, but the sunburst isn't available, and both sites are doing it in the exact same manner.

6. Hmm. Guitar Center's listing page shows the bass for $549, but if you go into the actual product page, it's still listed as $799... Musician's Friend is definitely listing them for $549 though.

I might have to get one...

7. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    ive heard that musicians friend and GC are one in the same so if thats true the stock may be the one in the same also

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    yeah - i saw them last night. i want them to sell out quickly before I do something really stupid.

9. When I bought my 24 burst at GC (Dec. 2008) for $349 I was told it was probably going to be discontinued, ergo the low price.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This was one Fender I played and hated! It felt cheesy to me and didn't sound like much imho, and a "slap switch"? give me a break!!!

11. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Ditto. I layed in bed last night figuring out how to justify buying that bass after just depleting my funds on a new $1300 rig.

I didn't come up with much.

12. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    That makes sense. Why would Fender not raise the price on these like they did the rest of them unless they were ditching it. That, now this. Smells like discontinuation.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, a local shop here is blowing them out too. They were still on Fender's site less than two weeks ago, so it looks like they've been dropped. I normally dislike active basses, but when I played the 24 (four string) I really liked it. I could dig a fiver in flat black, but it's probably not in the cards.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

I think what they are saying is that the PICTURE (sunburst) is still up on the web site but they are out of actual STOCK.

16. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I had heard earlier this year that Fender was discontinuing the 24/24V. Too bad -- they're very nice. (Got mine -- see link below.) On the plus side, if you do get one, and Fender doesn't offer a 24-fret bass again, these will appreciate in value.

17. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    I misread the ad. The headline of the ad at Musician's Friend is very poorly worded. By "Flat black rosewood fingerboard" they really mean "Flat black body with rosewood fingerboard". You managed to reply to my post before I managed to delete it a few seconds after realizing my mistake. (Note to self: wake up before typing.)

18. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    I caved. What can I say, I spend money when I shouldn't. With the Fender price hikes, I just had to do it. A 4+1 5 string, active bass with 24 frets, string through body Fender for $549? Come on, that's a no brainer.

The clincher: I got the sunburst! ;) Same price.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Doubtful. This is a Korean Cor-Tek contract bass and the Cor-Tek Fenders don't have much of a track record for either appreciation or long production runs. On the other hand, they tend to get blown out for nearly nothing and though not totally consistent tend to be pretty good instruments on the whole and excellent values at blowout prices.

Somewhere last year I saw the sunburst J24s on sale for $299.99, I believe as a SDOTD. I was tempted, but didn't much care for the concept of the instrument.

I no longer see this bass on the Fender.Com site...but it could be hiding.

20. You won't be disappointed; their Mexican passive products are costing more these days.:bassist: