1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Fender Rumble 150 good for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ajgor, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Ajgor

Ajgor

Apr 4, 2013
    Hello

I am from Poland :)
    For some days I would like to buy a new bass combo. Now I Have a very old (more than 25 years) Laney Pro-Bass 150Watt combo, and it crashes more and more, and sound ugly for me. I think about Fender Rumble 150 combo. We with my band are playing a rock'and'roll. Something similar to AC/DC. And I'm searching for deep, warm and dynamic, but clean (not distorted) sound. Will this amp be good for me?
    I am thinking also about Ashdown MAG 300 + Ashdown 410. Which will be better for me?
    I am playnig Fernandes PJR 45 Limited Edition bass with P/J pickups.

2. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I would go with the Ashdown if I were you. Rumbles are somewhat poor quality products.

3. Rumbles are certainly a budget line, but I wouldn't say they are poor quality, at least not the ones I own. I own a 350 head and a 410 cab and they are great for the price and do well for gigging too. For new players or the budget conscious musician they're a reasonable choice.

I bought mine because I wasn't sure bass was for me when I started playing and I didn't want to sink a lot of cash into gear if I decided I wasn't going to stick with it.

I do agree though that if you're a committed, gigging bass player there are better sounds to be had for just a little more money than you find with the Rumble series. The GK MB210 combo sounds really good for example.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I don't know if TC Electronics sells around you, but that's a great option. Their rather sophisticated compression circuitry allows you to extract more usable volume out of an affordable combo while protecting the speakers.
    I prefer the new Fender Rumble separate components (head and cabs) over the combo line because they're new and seem to be built better. I could be mistaken.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The fender rumble is a really good choice for what's you play. I own one myself and I think it sounded awesome. especially when I use my effects. the fender rumble 150 can easily give you a smooth warm bass sound that's very suitable for rock and metal music.

6. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned SUSPENDED

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    TC Electronic BG250.

7. Ajgor

Ajgor

Apr 4, 2013
    Hmm... TC Electronics looks curiously . And happily in one shop near from me they have promotion for this combo. The price is lower for about 25%. Fender costs (converted to USD) about 500USD, and this TC costs sbout 370USD (changed from also 500USD )
    Thanks a lot :)

But one more question. Do I get the warm, deep and dynamic sound from it?

8. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    TC Electronics BG250 is MUCH better... And you get Toneprint feature. Effects from your cell phone!

9. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I personally am not a fan of the TC tone, too model-y for me, but it is definitely a high-quality option.

10. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I own a Rumble 150 combo and, at first, I thought I made a mistake. I usually set my EQ flat across the board when using a large rig so I naturally set the combo the same way. It sounded great, until the band kicked in. I was totally lost in the mix. I was upset and thought I would need to exchange it. Then I decided to follow my instincts and tweaked the midrange... Aha! There I was!
    I was only going to use the combo for band practices and maybe small gigs, but I have to confess, its FINE for most gigs and I'll yell you why:
    1) the direct out can go right to the board and give you a great up front mix (I use a Sans Amp Bass DI for this anyway, but you could still use the amp this way)
    2) its a convenient size
    3) you CAN get a great tone from it, experiment a bit and you will hear it when its right
    4) wheels...
    5) above all else, its a FENDERRRR (LOL, sorry, that old post just popped in my head)
    For the price, I am ultimately happy with the 150 combo. I will eventually get something bigger as I need to, but this amp will stay in my arsenal

11. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Just remembered this post.
    I have since (like 4 years ago) switched to Markbass 2x10 combo stacked on a 1x15

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I own both the Rumble 500 and GK MB-500 heads. I bought the Fender to use as a backup, but liked it enough where it is my primary head for rock. But the sound is not as clear/bright as the GK (which I use for jazz).