Is filing really necessary for the Badass II ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Going to replace the bridge. I did the search and I am undecided as to which bridge to choose. I am looking at the Gotoh 201 and the Badass II. I saw posts that mention they had to file the saddles on the BA II. Do the strings slip off the saddles of the BA?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They can't slip "off" the saddles, the way the bridge is designed. But keeping the string-spacing constant without filing the saddles can be a pain. Some people report no problems. But, if there's nothing keeping the string in place, would you trust it?

I wouldn't. I have a BA II on my Jazz bass.
  3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    For the price of the BA it seems that it would come trouble free.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I needed filling done on mine when I got it. I originally wasnt going to but when I played finger style I noticed that the strings would move around a lot and I would have to reposition them. If you decide you need a filling make sure to find a PRO! They guy that did mine made a boo-boo, I have a extra tiny notch on the E string saddle...I was so mad!
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree.

Go with the Gotoh. No muss, no fuss, your trolls are dust. Just remove the old one and reinstall the new one and away you go.
  6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thanks folks, I am going to order the Gotoh 201. I like to tinker, but I don't want to on the bridge.
  7. For a great replacement bridge on a jazz, definitely
    check the hipshot bent plate solid brass bridge,
    and its a breeze changing string with the quick
    release system
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I didn't file the Badass I used to have on a Jazz bass, and I never had any trouble with it. At the time I played in a metal band, and played pretty hard, but still no problem. The tension of the strings seemed to keep them in place very well. Of course YMMV...
  9. I'm going to put this as diplomatically as I can. Every time this question is asked, someone like yourself pipes in with the same anecdotal evidence you've stated here. Unfortunately, your experience really has no bearing on the facts. The facts are that the manufacturer recommends the saddles be notched to the correct string spacing. This does more than fix the string spacing - it also relieves the sharp angle that is cast into the saddle so that it doesn't catch string windings as they are pulled over the piece. And, whether you knew it or not, there is quite a bit of relative movement of the string across the saddle when the notches aren't installed. This could lead to premature string failure. Considering the large number of basses that this bridge could be installed on - each with a slightly different spacing - it is easily understandable why Quan strongly suggests the notches.
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The key word here is could. In 27 years of playing, 25 gigging, I've NEVER broken a string - on that bass or any other. If you noticed, I said YMMV. I didn't have a problem, you might. Is that hard to understand? Is your vitriol necessary? On my bass the strings didn't move much, if at all. Anecdotal or not, that is my experience.
  11. Your playing experience has nothing to do with the question at hand. Understand that this a different forum than most since it deals with issues directly related to proper setup and maintainence of the instrument. Most of these topics have decidedly black and white solutions. You've offered a method of use that is NOT endorsed by the manufacturer and it's important for any reader of this forum to understand that to make the best informed decision possible. Your second post fails to address several of the reasons I offered for notching the saddles and even goes so far as to leave open the possibility that the strings on your bass could have moved - even a little bit. That's not a very concrete position to be arguing for bypassing the notches is it? Additionally, nobody suggested that you didn't experience what you related. What I DID say was that your approach was wrong, as measured by the manufacturers recommendation, and that there were sound reasons for doing it otherwise.

As for vitriol, there was no attack on you, your person, or anything about your ability. Learn to discern the difference and offer some cogent argument contrary to my own position and we'll discuss it further. Until then, your experience in this matter can only be taken as one instance amid thousands and not a representation of a proper solution.
  12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I find the anecdotal posts to be helpful as well as the technical(thanks for all.)
  13. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i recently put a bad a$$ on my p/j bass japan and man was it worth it,the low end punch is intense and it rings for hours,i asked the same question before i did mine to save a few bucks and my teacher who owns a music store let me play one that was'nt customized with the string slots,and i did not hesitate one more moment, do not even think it's do-able! its worth the extra 20-25 bucks for the lousy slots to be done, but as they say "the best lessons are the ones that are self taught":bassist: