1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Flea not using Modulus anymore?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Owl, Dec 31, 2006.

1. So I watched RHCP live on MTV the other day, and Flea was playing on a white jazzbass through the whole show (edited, I guess, about an hour long). I also read a recent interview with Flea's tech, who stated that he brings about 4 Modulus Flea models, and two jazzes on tour.

However, I searched on recent live stuff on YouTube, and I couldn't find a clip with him playing a Modulus post 2005. Has he stopped using Modulus? I think those basses suit him better, both sounds- and looks-wise.

Anyone here who saw them on the current tour? Did he use a Modulus on any songs?

Discuss!

2. george_r

george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    I saw him on tour in NY using his fender. I havn't seen him use his modulus at a show for a while, but he still has and plays all of his basses (Musicman, Wal, Modulus, Fender, transparent bass he used for the Danni video).

3. That was taken from Dave Rats' blog. I'm so glad he convinced him to go back to Modulus live.

4. I'm glad to hear that. Flea and Modulus = Milk and cookies IMO! His sound on "By the Way" is, like, the definition of growl...

5. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I don't know.. .I like him much more in the "music man is my main axe" days ;)

but.. I must say that the Modulus sounds good

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He used a modulus when I saw him 2 months ago, so I am going to say no.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    He used the two ancient fenders with flatwound strings for most of a year, before the RHCP's sound crew convinced him that his live sound with them was not very good. He's back to the Modulus basses now, at least for shows.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    He used a sunburst Modulus Flea in the new video for "Snow". Pretty cool looking bass and I think they do sound good, although I'd prefer to see him bust out the musicmen.
    -Alex

9. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Yeah, Flea + Stingray = :D

10. Flea+spector=old school

lowsound

11. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    That black and sunburst-ish thing is a flea bass just with a different design is it not? Hes played that alot.

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Flea + Wal = superb recorded tone.

13. AMEN TO THAT!!!

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yup. He shouldnt have stopped playing that thing.

Graeme

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I read that Flea used the J-bass for ages, but then went back to the Modulus for live shows because of the sound. When I saw them last July he played a Modulus.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That must be pretty embarassing, your tech saying "hey, this bass you've been using...well, it sounds awful."

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My understanding (and I could be totally wrong) was that the vintage J with flats didn't have enough of and "up-front" sound, so he switched back to the Modulus. I'm wondering why they didn't just put some rounds on the J.

18. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    In copenhagen last year he used the white Fender , as the latest recordings ive seen live.
    Ill guess he uses both.

19. kynoch

kynoch

Jun 28, 2006
    I have watched a lot of The Chili peppers shows in 2006....early in the year he was on the Fenders....now he's back on the Flea bass....july 2006 onwards. I guess for all the above reasons.

I have to say I loved hearing the Fender tone on Stadium Arcadium. I was Great. and IMO The fender live on those songs is much better. But for the BTW and Californication tracks the Flea bass is better.

20. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Actually I really like Flea's tone with his new Fender jazz , I think its a 62 pre CBS shell pink thats aged well if my memory serves me right