1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Fret Buzz after paid set up Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Got a new bass. Paid for a full set up. All 4 strings, E,A,D and G buzz at the first Fret. Every other fret is fine. Is this Kosher? What is the remedy?

Adding Video to OP -

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    ERIC31 likes this.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    What kind of bass? If it's a cheaper bass it's likely that one fret may be a bit higher than others. A set up would not fix this.

Iamthelampshade likes this.
  3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    It's the new Jackson neck though basses they are selling for 550.00 I don't know If that is Cheap but I got a Bolt on Jackson lower end and the set up guy got all buzz out of it and said the neck was so bad it was a miracle.

Can the fret buzz be heard in the studio?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Could be playing style, could be the bass, could be the string, could just need an extra tweak. If you paid, IMO, it's unacceptable (not that the tech did anything wrong, but that the bass should be set up for YOU) and I'd bring it back to whoever set it up. I couldn't imagine them giving you a hard time about tweaking it. If it's a hassle to do that, I hate to say this but... you should have checked it out thoroughly before taking it home. Next time.

Might be a good time for you to start learning to do it yourself. It's not difficult and there is a ton of info and people here to help you out. You probably just have to raise the saddle a hair.

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    I am in the process of learning to do them but not there yet. This bass was set up before shipping. Will raising the saddle mess with any other settings?

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Take it back to the shop...show them what it's doing...then get back to us.

Correction: okay, you had it shipped and appears as if you're not familar with set-ups. Take it to a shop...show them what it's doing...get back to us.

Riis

MattZilla and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    I just need to know if fret buzz on a paid set up is acceptable or not. The bass was mail order, the sales man personally inspected it before it was shipped and it left with fret buzz. Here is a video.

It's not my playing style by the way I don't fret buzz on my other basses even my Jacksons.

8. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    humidity changes from where it was shipped could make the truss rod a hair too tight and can cause a little back bow, or to little relief. That could cause buzzing like you describe. Try checking by holding the strings down in that area or putting a straight edge like a ruler on the neck from the nut forward.

CTC564, Theorybass'd, hover and 5 others like this.
  9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    It's possible the neck moved during shipping. Having it set up in one location, maybe cold and dry, then shipped to another warmer, more humid climate would do that.

Buzzing on the first fret only makes me think it needs a little more relief or the nut slot is too low. Or there may be a fret that is slightly high or low.

Edit: Hard to tell anything from vid. Maybe just some whole notes on each fret?

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Depends. Since you had it shipped, all bets are off as climate variations (temp, humidity) will affect a set-up, often to the negative. This is a bad time of the year.

Riis

Joebone, Thisguy, CTC564 and 5 others like this.
  11. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    more relief or bow by loosening the truss rod, A quarter turn might do it.

troy mcclure and physics like this.
  12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Maybe this will help. I looked down the neck and the string height goes from higher action to lower action uniformly. I just plucked a note on each first Fret and pushed in on the bass inward body and the buss went away however obviously the action got higher. When I pulled the neck back it got worse.

If this is a truss issue I can probably fix that. I have adjusted a truss successfully once anyway.

Clock wise or counter clock wise?

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That first fret is a bit more than a buzz. That's unacceptable, and while I wish I could help I have to admit not being sure of the solution is for that. I had that with my Jaguar, and just fiddled with the relief and action till I got it right. Others know exactly what they're doing and will be able to guide you much better. Good luck.

14. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Guess I might ask the sales man if it had fret buzz when it left. Maybe their set up guy can walk me through it. Love the bass. Feels great save for the buzz.

15. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Hold down the E string at the first fret and 20th fret at same time. See if there is a gap between the 8th fret and string. If not, add relief by loosening the truss rod which I think would be CCW. If it gets worse turn it the other way. Small 1/8 turn adjustments and recheck. It's nice to have neck as flat as possible but usually needs a gap at 8th fret about the thickness of a business card.

You might need to adjust saddle height after setting the relief. I usually lower until I start to get buzz, then raise back up a bit.

physics likes this.
  16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Thanks guys I am off to bed now. Review this in the morning.

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You talk like there is only one "proper" set up option.

My bass would buzz like a hornet in most player's hands, but not in mine. What specs did you give the tech?

Bass., canuckshort, Lawuka and 4 others like this.
  18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm with those who suspect that the culprit is temperature and/or humidity changes while sitting in a truck during shipping. If so, you might wake up in the morning to find that the buzz has magically disappeared. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

For the case you describe, yes it is perfectly acceptable for a setup to drift during shipping.

It is also acceptable that a bass buzz after someone else set it up in your absence. They set it up so it worked for THEM, not you.

You need to take it in for an appointment to an experienced tech and have him first check for high frets; it may need a leveling. Then sit with them while they tweak it and let you try it at that time. Once tech fully understands your goals And playing style, you should see results.

These are the pitfalls of not knowing how to set up your own bass.

Also, a truss adjustment may not help that much so low down. It will affect the middle of the neck much more than at the ends and too much relief just causes other problems in other neck locations.

Oldschool94 and quickfix like this.
  20. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Sounds like it's choking out on the first fret, as if the first fret is too low. That's far far from acceptable. Send the bass back. Just get a better one.

Justinian and castlev like this.