Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is fretless technique any different?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mlbarlow, May 21, 2005.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    I'm investing in my first fretless bass - an acoustic - and am wondering if I need to think about technique issues varying from fretted before I form any bad habits.

Thanks.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Your touch is important on a fretted or fretless bass, but it is VERY important on a fretless. If you don't have your touch down, the fretless is going to force you to develop it.

3. the most important tecnique to learn when playing a fretless is how to hold the correct Inotation of each note you play, on a fretted you can press ur finger down in a few place and still make the same note, on a frettless you must be exact.

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Very true. The way both your hands work on the strings is a much more important factor in your tone. Your sound becomes much more sensitive to small nuances in technique.

5. Using one finger per fret can help you play in tune. It's not so hard to stay in tune when you play slowly, but it's harder to hear where you are when you play fast, so OFPF helps you get your fingers in the right place.