Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Funk A Dying Genre?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Being the Funk lover that I am, I constantly try to find new artists that bring it. Most of the time I am terribly disappointed but I do occasionally find a group/individual that's decent. My most recent find is Waltz of a Ghetto Fly by Amp Fiddler which I feel is pretty good even though most of it is keyboard bass. Other than that one, I'm at a loss. Sombody help me out. Post some discs that I need to check out. Is Da Funk going to be lost?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Micheal Franti and Spearhead have a nice funk/reggae/soul vibe. Its not hard funk like, say, Parliament/Funkadelic etc. but its definately got the boogie.

Ozomatli are on the latin/fusion/funk/hip-hop tip and are a live show that is not to be missed.

Funk isn't going to die, musical genres don't really "die", they get old and moldy, yes. But eventually everyone comes due for a kick in the ass. I think funks virtues of groove, bombast and eclectimaniacagroovahellisciousness are too compelling to just let die and be forgotten.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Check out Antibalas or Vinyl.

They've got some solid grooves happenin'.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    EB0-
    ...it is pretty bad when compared to the olden daze.
    On the current scene, I like Robert Randolph.
    Otherwise, I'm content to unearth some of the great stuff I missed out on the first-time around.

5. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'll second all of that... There's so much great funk out there to be discovered (uncovered?) that was recorded decades ago. As for current music, there's a bunch of good funky jazz stuff going on, funky latin stuff too.

What worries me more than the lack of good current funk bands is the fact that a lot of the people that grew up with this stuff are getting old enough not to want go to clubs as much, especially during the week. Bleh, I should have started playing bass when I was a baby. :p

Edit: Okay, one more thing I forgot to say:
    Funk will never die!!!
    Just so's ya know.

6. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Maceo Parker "life on planet groove" is one of the funkiest albums ever and of the recent.

pure funk is dying...but A LOT of bands are putting a little funk in their style now a days.

7. hell no...not while im alive and kickin...as far as i know bootsy is still going..he has stop touring but he aint givin it up yet...look at meshell ndegochello, bit of funk/soul/rnb and erykah badu, she's the same but princes new album is extremely funky...rhcp are starting to loose da funk a little, but they'll come back...i hope......you shold hear a aussie bad, now split up, called DIG, Directions In Groove....very funky and jazzy...try and get an album called Deeper, its rather essential....but of course ben harper has nice groove to him

8. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
  9. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Heath Meister-
    I think you made Ebozz' point. In his initial post, he mentioned seeking out "new artists".

You mention Prince & Bootsy...both from the '70s
    RHCP...from the '80s
    Me'shell & Badu...early '90s

All still happein', of course...but nothing really "new".
    Meanwhile, I gotta find Cymande's 1st 2 albums. Thanks for that heads-up, Leanne!
    ;)

11. Me :smug: :p , nah..me and my mates from school have started a kinda acid jazz/funk/soul/hip hop band....trying to do some really simple and dancable stuff...ill try and get some audio stuff up soonish..but really try and get that a DIG album..someone flogged my copy of Deeper and im bidding on another on ebay, so when i get that ill upload a demo....really good stuff

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just keep your eyes and ears on the so called "neo-soul" artists and some of the crossover jazz stuff that is influenced by 70s Miles Davis (recent CDs by Nicholas Payton, Roy Hargrove, etc.)

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Bad is an understatement Jim! :D I normally find myself same as you, blowing the dust off some of the oldies. That's cool but I would like to see some new artists continue to develop. Of course, I'm in Denver and the local scene here is very Funk deficient.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I do Brian but most of the stuff that I hear leaves me wanting something that's better. :( I do keep looking though. ;)

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    PB,

Thanks! I'll check those out. Whose Funkin' on the local scene?

16. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Don't know if you've heard of Freekbass, but he's current. Apparently, he's Bootsy's protoge. Check him out at www.freekbass.com

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got Body Over Mind from Freek and I understand that he has a new release titled The Air Is Fresher Underground. What do I think of him? Let's just say that I would have to hear his new release before buying. ;)

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    and for a more mainstream approach-

Maroon 5- not a bad album

Remy Shand- a good buy as well, great R&B funk

Joss Stone- Don't own it, but the singles are funky

Outkast- funk for some, trash for others, give it a listen

there are more, but I suggested these as they are main stream, therefore I'd say it's not dying IMHO.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Never heard of Maroon 5 or Joss Stone but I'll look into them. It's funny that you should mention Outkast. Most of the good Nu Funk from a music standpoint that I've heard recently comes from Hip-Hop.

20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

your 100% right!