1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Is G on the E string the same as G on the A string?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm about to return this book to the public library tomorrow & was reviewing it for the umpteenth time in the park today:
    IMG_20170409_172625699_TOP.jpg
    Well, this struck me as wrong, but maybe it was done for simplicity's sake.
    How could the G on the E string (right side) be the same G on the A string (bottom left)?

Wouldn't the G for the A string be on top of the staff an octave higher?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Garret Graves likes this.
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Simple answer, the italic "8va" above the staff indicates to play one octave higher than notated.

Most commonly, arrangers use this symbol to avoid writing lots of ledger lines above the staff.

In mechanical terms you could think of it as a capo at the 12th fret, play everything up one octave.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ah-Hah!
    Not sure how I missed that, but it's quite clear now.
    Thanks!

GKon likes this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    2nd position?

5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    They could have written it better, with a dashed line after the 8va over all the notes. Don't fault yourself.

6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Why wouldn't they just write it higher up on the staff? Oooh ledger lines. SCARY.

Fergie Fulton and JimK like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, Jloch... I see it now. Minor oversight on someone's part... Good catch, though, KBD!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :banghead:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021