1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is GAS for amps pretty common?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I have 15-16 basses and 2 amps. An ancient but reliable Peavey Bass Mk III with a 115 Black widow, and a TCE BG250 which I love to gig with.. cause its so light.

I have looked at the new BG250 with 2x8" speakers and would like to practice and gig tiny bars with it.. but I'd probably drop the Peavey... I've only sold one bass and traded/swapped another. I just have a hard time letting basses go, but see many basses I think I'd like. I don't tend to feel that way about amps.

Any of you have lots of amps? 5? 10? Who has the most amps. I'm not going to bother asking why, heck, I have 15 basses... LOL

I can see getting addicted to tons of effects pedals.. very unique.. do different amps do the same for some of you? I'm expecting many to have at least 2. Practice/small gig and a bigger rig 8x10s 2x15s and larger.. but how about 3 different 8x10 cabs from different manufacturers for different sounds..

Just curious. I can get the basses by the wife because they can hang on a wall out of the way.. amps, not so much. SO I don't see myself joining that group. :)

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    No. :)

3. Johnk_10 has one of the largest collections I have seen here, Acoustic Control Corp, Ampeg, Sunn and a couple Vox IIRC.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

GAS for amps?? Nah....no way.......never.....not on Talkbass. Nope.

Well, I gotta go. It's been over five minutes since I checked the TB amps classified section.

Btw, I have four all-tube amps. Why four?? Because it's more than three.

5. Because three wasn't enough.

No, GAS for amps is not common . . . no more common than GAS.

You didn't ask, but if you HAD asked "is it as common as GAS for basses," then I'd have to say: "no, not as common."

6. For me it is. I've been through more amps in the past couple years than I have basses. For me it's not so much about having a bunch of amps but rather the right amps. So I have bought and sold many amps to get to the one rig I have currently. At this point I'm very happy with it but who knows, tomorrow I could find something I like better.

I have actually been wanting a BG250 for a while to use as a practice and small gig amp. Until I read your OP I didn't even know there was a 2x8 version! Thanks for giving me GAS again!!!

7. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    LOL thanks. Right GAS isn't that common anyway. More common for basses and probably pedals/effects, and less for amps. It's what I'd guess, but you never know.

One guitar player in my band has 2 guitars, the other 4 including an acoustic. They think I'm nuts. When I joined then 12 months ago, I had 2.

8. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    New sig time!

On-topic, I'm GASing for some amps, but that's mostly because I want to upgrade the setup I've got to get the best sound I can.

9. You think that's air you're breathing?

10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Heads:
    GK MB200
    Peavey VB-2
    Ashdown Little Bastard LB-30

Tech 21 Sansamp RBI preamp (several different power amps I can use with it).

Cabs:
    Two Genz Benz Focus 115's
    Eden EX112 (4 ohm)

Combos:
    TCE BG250 (the original 115 model)
    Hartke 1155 (circa 1993) - currently disassembled into the 3500 head and the 115+ 5 cab. I normally use the head with one of my Genz cabs and leave the old Hartke speaker cab at a practice space.

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Yes. Today. Sigh...

=wr=

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never minded having different basses, but I never cared for having a bunch of amps laying around doing nothing. Of course, I have a bunch of amps laying around doing nothing now ;) but I've always sold the ones I quit using and I imagine I'll probably do it again soon. Just can't quite bring myself to part with my 69 SVT yet.

13. I have 1 bass rig (Jeff Berlin combo & NY151 ext cab ) but 6 guitar amps and need and play them all, though I am playing more bass these last few years and don 't really gas for another bass amp. .

14. Forgot about my neighbor 's retired blackface baseman he bought new in 65 or 66 but won't give me a price. (2 12 or 2 15 cab , too)

15. BASSMAN. Dang spell check.

16. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    I have 3 right now including the first amp I ever owned and I keep checking the TB classifieds , Craig's List and Ebay. I know I don't need another one, but I keep looking and lusting, so to answer your question..........YES!!!!!

17. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    With guitars, I've got four that I like and no desire for more. Still find myself drooling over guitar amps--the Fender silverface '68 reissue Twin has gotten my attention lately.

I'm new to bass, but it seems to be the other way around. No need or desire for another amp, but I'm absolutely gassing for a P bass to keep my Jazz company.

18. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know if it is common, but this forum is the world's #1 vector for it. Beware!

19. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Pretty common. Yeah.

20. Yep.

I have a Fender Studio, a Bass Master 200 (in the funky blue carpet) a Peave Valve King, and a Fender Super Twin coming home tomorrow. The Super Twin has been gnawing at the back of my cerebellum for months... I'm going to re-cap it to bass specs and use it on stage instead of dragging the studio around. I have a custom cab with a Gauss 400w 15 in it that I think will sound very, very sweet..