1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Gb/Db the same as Gb/5- ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I am trying to enter a diminished 5 in my practice software (Guitar Pro) and I want to be 100% this is the same thing.

I know, I should know by ear but I AM NOT THAT GOOD!

2. Taxxorrak

Taxxorrak

Feb 7, 2009
    Norway.
    A b5 chord (with a diminished 5) would be the notes Gb - Bb - C - Db. The Db being the seventh of the chord.

Is the chord a major or a minor? It's not really that common to use a b5 in major chords. I'm sure someone will correct me on this. Normally a b5 would be placed on a minor chord.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    As I understand your question a Gb/Db is a Gb with the fifth of the chord in the bass. That's it.

If you want a Gb(b5) chord it would be spelled: Gb, Bb, Dbb. Now of course the Dbb is the same sound as a C... and likely if you were talking this over in a band situation you'd call that pitch a C... but in theory it has to a Dbb to keep the realtionship of a fifth between the Gb and the Dbb. This is one of those places, and you'll see them a lot on this forum, that theory and practicality butt heads.

A C above a G is a fourth... has to be. You can add all the sharps and flats to either note and change the sound to nearly anything, but IF the notes are a fourth apart, then the interval has to (in theory) be expressed as a fourth.

This will seem a bit confusing only if you are unfamiliar with music theory. Once you get a grip on it, the distinction is clear and important.

4. Well I found this on the score of You Keep Me Hanging On.

I am transcribing James' line from "The Book", and bar 7, 11 and 15 are noted as Gb/Db. I don't see how this works over a Gb or even a Gb dim 5.

My music theory is limited, indeed, I am too old to learn I fear. I am self taught, all by ear, with very simple music theory from Jr High (music is a very rare option in the French high schools, I know, it's a shame).

Thanks for the help!

5. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Gb/Db

(Db) Gb Bb Db

Gbdim

Gb Bb Dbb

Assuming this is what you wanted.

6. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    The dim5 has to be spelled Dbb, not C.

The Db would be the perfect 5th. The 7th in the key of Gb would be F.

Otherwise, you are correct.

7. if it was written that way i'd assume Gb major with a Db bass note......a diminished would be a root,minor 3,b 5,bb7 but ill defer to the experts......i would think that a Bb would be a major 3 to Gb

8. I truly need to read about theory.

What is the book you would recommend?

Thanks!

9. kinda depends on where you are and where you want to go...... before you spend the money on books much can be learned by studying the neck,notes,scales,chords, modes,and the relationships between them.....