Is GC the BK of music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lucianoxrp, Aug 11, 2019.

1. I’ve been living in the US for a year now, and I’m getting an image that’s very different than the one I had from outside.
    It looks to me, that musicians consider Guitar Center as the musical version of Burger King. That is, a store that once was good, looooong time ago, but now it became the worst place to go. A massive chain with bad and impersonal service, not much stock of good products, etc, etc.
    Am I getting the right impression?
    Any comments?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Not just GC but Seems like most retail brick 'n mortar stores are having problems staying open.

mrcbass, Wasnex and lucianoxrp like this.
  3. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    With dwindling on-site inventory and expertise, plus the "you-can-order-it-online" approach to "helping" people who take the trouble to walk into their stores, GC seems more analogous to Staples for me. (What a waste that place has become.)

But your point is well taken anyway, and I agree that BK has taken a slide too. :unsure:

lucianoxrp likes this.
  4. As a lefty I stopped going to GC a long time ago. Their selection of left handed instruments (especially basses) is pathetic. I'd say they're more like the Circuit City of music.

dannylectro and lucianoxrp like this.
  5. Ouch!

6. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    GC is certainly deserving of the common criticisms levied against it. I certainly wouldn’t walk in there expecting insightful advice about my prospective purchase.

On the other hand, GC does have the largest selection of used musical inventory just about anywhere with the most generous return policy I’ve ever seen. Got to give them props for that.

lucianoxrp likes this.
  7. And if so, for bassists ,what is GC's equivalent of the 1.49 10 piece chicken nuggets?

Fat Freddy and lucianoxrp like this.
  8. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    What the hell is wrong with BK? ;) lol
    Also, I’m pretty sure everyone on TB understands there are bad experiences at GC. Do we really need more threads just to bash them? I, for one, have had some really nice dealings with different GCs across the country, but none of them make for a good story.

9. I haven’t had bad experiences with GC, and my intention is not to bash them. I just wanted to get some opinions about why I am getting the impression that experienced musicians don’t like it. When you come from outside US, the expectation is that GC is Alice in Wonderland for musicians, but after some time here, that image changes a lot, and mostly because of other people comments.

10. I for one, have always had favorable experiences with GC, at the one in West LA, Winter Park FL, and Daytona Beach FL. Their return policy is excellent with literally no hassles. Their used gear web site is excellent with many, many good deals to be had. They stock mostly lower end gear but you can order more expensive gear if needed, have it shipped to the local store nearest you so you can try it out, and if there is a problem, simply refuse to accept it for either an exchange or refund. No hassles. The best thing is to go in and see for yourself. :D

lucianoxrp likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A friend of mine owns a music store. He and I were talking once about what they stock. He HATES his own inventory. BUT, he is a tech wizard. He has software that tracks his sales. He sees trends and follows them. As such, he does pretty well for a medium sized college town store.

The point is, GC stocks what sells. Just because YOU walk in and don't see what YOU would stock if YOU owned a music store, that doesn't mean they're stupid.

As for customer service, pretty much ANY big box store is going to have horrible service. People who will work for what retail pays usually aren't incredibly driven. Usually the job is a stepping stone to something better, so they simply don't care. If you think their service stinks, YOU go work for them. Oooooooooh, that's right. The job SUCKS, so that idea is out. ;)

Look, I love this community here at TB. But we're a picky, fickle bunch. We want amazing quality for cheap from people who bend over backwards to get it to us. And even then we'll find a way to complain about it. GC never stood a chance with us. :roflmao:

ajkula66, lucianoxrp, ak56 and 2 others like this.
  12. I will still occasionally go to BK.