Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is GC usually this dumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    There aren't any Guitar Centers anywhere near me, so I'm not familiar with their selling practices. They're trying to sell on ebay, no less a Spector NS-2C for $850!!!! I think they're all high or something.

NS-2C

2. wow, the sticker price for my 5 string rebop wasnt even that high........and i bought mine at another GC

3. The way I see it, if its more then 10 years old, GC will try and mooch an extra 500 out of it at the LEAST.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    After a while, you can tell a GC auction on Ebay just by looking at the price. Give it a try.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, let me tell ya.

I just went to the Toledo GC this past Sunday to buy a Geddy. Now, I have cash in hand, and know what I want....this should be an easy sale.

Well, maybe I look REALLY broke, since I stood there with my arms crossed staring at the bass I wanted all the way up on the top row for at least 10 minutes, while a group of sales donkeys were gathered right around the corner, playing with keyboards....being ignored the whole time.

I decided to just start staring at them figuring it would eventually get someone's attention, which it did finally. "Did you need some help?".....I replied with "yep". "Well, let me go get someone for you". I waited a few more minutes, and someone finally came. I told him I which bass I wanted to check out, and which amp setup I preferred to use since it is closest to what I have.

He attempted to plug in the SVT-CL head into the 810E as I requested, taking several minutes to do so. I watched him do this, and it was quite comical. First of all, he turned on the power and standby at the same time (no warm up period) and fumbled around with the speaker cables (unplugged from the head the whole time for a minute or so) and said "hmm....should work". I looked at it, and he had the cab, and the bass both plugged directly into the cab. I told him that first of all, you should allow the head to warm up for a few before turning off the standby, and that you should NEVER have a tube amp on without a speaker attached, as it will blow it up. I didn't even get to tell him the bass gets plugged into the head (not the cab) before he went into panic mode, and took off looking for another salesidiot. While he left, I turned the amp off, and wired it properly and was playing on it for a bit before someone else even showed up.

Meanwhile when I was waiting for someone else, I got to hear another salesman "demo" a bass for a customer.....it was (no lie) the worst, sloppiest, out of time rendition of higher ground I've ever heard. Once another guy showed up, I just asked for his best price. It wasn't quite as low as I'd hoped, but I was able to dump a crap epiphone t-bird on trade for a reasonable price, and got the hell out of that place.

Had I not been dead set on buying a particular bass when I went in there, I would have no doubt just left while waiting for these jackholes to help me to begin with.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They really jack up the price on the used stuff they sell on E-Bay. Seems to be their MO.

8. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Dec 10, 2005
    SoCal
    Exactly. If you walk into their store to buy a similar item they will tell you, "These go for big bucks on Ebay." To which I reply, "No, **** Sherlock! GCREP is on Ebay just for that purpose."

My local GC sells beat-to-death Fender tube amps for sky high prices and.... Oh, nevermind. I should stop before I go off the deep end. :D

Gator

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Let's not forget that they want to sell you NEW stuff.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    No *&#t! You can get a 2A for less than $500 and it's a much better bass. I guess another MO of theirs is "there's one born every minute".

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Costomers are not the only ones that screwed at GC so do their employes...I know a guy who use to work at the GC here in Little Rock. They told him that on top of the six dollars an hour he was working he would also get a 10% commission on what he sold. Well it turns out he get a commission on how well the store did minus the six an hour wage.
    I will never buy a guitar from GC...The way they do business is shady and just plain wrong.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    At the local GC, there is officially 1 helpful guy out of a staff of maybe 20. When he is not in, it is best to just leave. Besides, Basses Electric Acoustic is pretty close, so I probabally should no bother with GC anyway.

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Ever wonder why so many kids work there instead of expeienced Pro's. There's your answer, and the few that are there are on salary. My old salesman was, I used to get killer deals because he didn't care about a commission. Like $80 for a Road Ready 4u rack. They are $150 on the web. I know I've been looking for another one.

14. Many moons ago I bought my used Carvin LB75 at that very guitar center for $800 :rolleyes: I figured it was a deal seeing as I was saving hundreds of dollars compared to a new one, I had no idea at the time that Carvins sold for a much smaller fraction of the sale value.

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I actually like GC... if you go in there and you say "I want to buy this bass" they say "great!" and then you say "And I want a free strap, chord, and stand" they will say "I can't give you all that!" You smile and say thanks anyway... and they will flip and end up giving it all to u! :) lol it's a lot of fun.

16. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    They should sell vacuums.

17. i know of one helpful guy in the entire store i go to, and the only reason i trust him is becasue the guy has sold me almost every peice of equipment ive ever bought. (he used to work for the Mars music in my town before that place went under) and i love how they throw in so much free crap when you make a sale, when i bought my rebop i got two free cables (not the crap they have out in the store either, cant remeber the brand off hand, but theyre nice), a free strap, padded gig bag, stand, and a few sets of strings for it, so i was happy with the service

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why would you need for them to give you a chord?

19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

It's not like it's a Major issue.

;)

20. the $amount$ of the purchase is key.