Is Geddy Lee sig as good as Fender Jazz American Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have a HUGE dilemma. I bought an FNA Jazzman 5 string by Warwick last year sometime. It's a sweet bass, but I cannot get used to the fat neck.

Come last week... I traded my old Yamaha RBX765A in for my first Fender Jazz Bass in the American series--the one with the push button that makes it sound like a P bass. I was absolutely floored. I cannot believe I went this long without picking up a Fender. As a guitar player, I absolutely hated the sound, but as a bass player, they are SWEET.

I have been looking at the Geddy Lee sig and the Marcus Miller sig... The only problem is that I'd have to sell my FNA Jazzman. I know I'd be downgrading, at least I'd love the way it feels. Maybe I'm just not used to the neck on the Warwick yet.

At any rate, is the Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller as good as the Fender Jazz (American Series) bass? Thanks.

2. In my opinion, the GL sig and the Am. series basses are two different beasts. If you want to move to a really small neck from your Warwick, the GL is the place to go. If you want Active electronics and pretty much 0 noise from your bass, the American Deluxe series is the way to go. The quality difference between the Am. Series and the Japanese artist series is completely non-existent.
  3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I think they are both nice basses, I have a MIA Jazz and P bass. I prefer the Geddy over the Marcus but if you play slap you would probably like Marcus.

I don't find much of a difference from my Jazz, the Geddy does have that 70's feel which is nice. I wouldn't sell my MIA but if I needed a bass they would both be on the list especially for the price point.

4. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i just played both at gc the other day. i'm not really big on jazznecks cause they are small and uncomfortable to me.

the geddy, was like my old soundgear(neck wise) and it was soo tiny.

the american was small, yet, comfortably small.

if money isnt an option, i'd go american.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No, it's not as good.

It's better. :)

Of course, IMO.
  6. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    frrom what i can remember, the Geddy lee as a thiner neck and Badass (not really sure for this one) that's all i can help...
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Of the two (GL vs. American Series), the American Series is the more versatile of the two tonally. It's what I would go with.
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It also has USA "Vintage" pickups.
  9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Deluxe, which has the noiseless pickups and a preamp, which IMHO, is not really a proper comparison. Otherwise, except for that crazy S1 thingy, the GL is identical in versatility to the "standard" USA Jazz. Admittedly, it's in a little bit different tonal spectrum, but other than that, it's pretty versatile for a "standard" J, IMHO.

Personally, I think if you're talking about quality, I'd say they're identical. My GL plays better than any USA J I've touched (and some were darn sweet), but I'd also say I know there are some really great USA J's out there, too.

For me, it was all about the action, enhanced by the shaved neck profile, and the combination of the pickup type and placement, 'cause I LOVE that '70s GROWL! It's also got a great slap tone (tho prolly not as good as the MM), IMHO, and a darn respectable "P-type" sound on the neck pickup, so for a "bluesier/woodier" tone, that's covered as well.

The bottom line is, I have yet to find myself lacking for tone or action in pretty much any setting on the GL.
  10. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The question is... Do I downgrade from my FNA Jazzman 5 string to the GL? That is the question. That Warwick is pretty high end and I don't want to take a huge downgrade. Hell, maybe it isn't a downgrade, but the Warwick is sure a high quality piece.

See now I'm at a point where I want to keep the American Fender Jazz bass, but am thinking of replacing the FNA for ANOTHER jazz bass--perhaps the MM or GL and maybe have some money left over. Would I be sorry? If the highest end instrument I owned was an American made and a Japanese made Fender, would I be happy?

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, if the FNA doesn't work for you, then it's not really a downgrade... especially considering you'll have cash leftover from whatever you do. It's really only a tough question 'cause you already have a J you seem to be happy with. However, if it was me, I bet I'd be sellin' a USA J after a while, too. :)
  12. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No, Vics, I'm not talking about the Deluxe; I'm talking about the Standard (or whatever they call it) model with the S-1 switch and that's the bass Knavery is talking about. The S-1 bass is quite versatile tonally and I like it. I wouldn't care for the GL personally because, as I remember, the GL has '70s pickup placement and I'm more into the '60s type tone.
  13. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No, MIJ I believe.

I found the Geddy to have a great fingerstyle feel and tone, but I couldn't slap it. The neck was too small, but the rather high action amy have had something to do with it as well.

If I could only have one bass, it'd be a standard J. But if I were buying a strictly fingerstyle bass, it would be the Geddy. They play really nice and feel and sound great, but I couldn't slap the one I tried. Maybe I'm biased because I've only played one Geddy Lee sig, but that was my limited experience.
  14. WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    I would say don't look at price. If you had a $3000 custom that didn't feel right to you it isn't worth it to you. Basically a bass will speak to you and when you play it says take me home.

I don't like to get clouded by price when trying gear in the store. Just because it is expensive it doesn't make it right for you.

I don't care how much it costs or how many people say it's great. If it doesn't feel good in my hands it isn't worth any amount. Unless it was super cheap and I could turn around and sell it for more money and buy something that I like.
  15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois

VERY true!

Had everything to do with it, prolly. Mine slaps GREAT. The only problem I have slapping mine is my own lack of ability. I REALLY need to work on that!

BTW, the shop where I got mine got another, and it's setup like crap. Not only not slappable, but not at all representative IMHO. I'm tempted to go in there and set it up myself just 'cause I can't stand to see it that way knowing what it could be like. The tone was there, tho. :)
  16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh man, ditto that!
  17. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    I a/b'd the gl against almost every other jazz bass in the store. I thought the gl was the best because of the neck and that growl that you dont get from the american.
  18. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I had a MM for about a week. It was a solid bass that was very resonant un plugged. It weighed a ton. After playing it one time with the band, I shipped it back. I had to either sell my G&L or send the MM back and the MM just did not do it for me live. I think the preamp may have been the issue. Just did not cut all the well.

The MM neck was quite a bit chunkier front to back then many jazz basses I have played.

The MM was a nice bass. I wish I could have kept it and upgrade the preamp with a Sadowsky or U-retro.

19. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've owned a geddy for 4-5 years. And I love it!

I do want a second bass somewhere down the line. But the geddy fills every role I can think of for the moment.

I found myself looking at other basses (sometimes twice the price) but have always come back to the fact that my geddy kicks butt. It's one I plan to keep.