Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is getting a deacent 30+ watt combo for under 300 impossible???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Namaah, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    People have prob posted this MILLIONS of times, but im have MUCH trouble findin a portable combo because of all the choices out there. I see ampeg has a pretty good Portabass line, but i cant find anywhere to test one out, and the SWR working man's look pretty good too, but i cant seem to choose. A major factor is I play with effects and i dont know if either of these (or any in this price range for that matter) would play well wit an array of effects. Also, does anyone know anything bout that new Roland 30 watt and how it stacks up to the others??? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TX

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    GK's Backline 110 has 1 10" driver & has 70watts. It can be had new, at MF for around $260.00.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
  4. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Personally I like:

SWR Workingman's 10
    Trace Elliot Boxer 30 and 65
    Hartke B60

You should be able to get these (maybe not the
    SWR) for under 3 bills.

I use the Hartke B60 with a MM Stingray 4 and the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. Very nice, portable sound on the cheap.

-Aladdin

5. I found the SWR WM series to be incredibly sterile when using FX (especially distortions)...kinda like plugging into your home stereo.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I vote GK backline if your buying new. SWR wm-12 if you can buy used!

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I bought a Peavey MINX 110 about 4 years ago. It's been a great little amp! 35 watts for $190.

[​IMG]

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OH, another great little practice amp I forgot about... The Ashdown 5:15. Has 65w, a 15" driver, headphone jack, & can be had NEW at a couple of different web retailers for around $229.

Hell, even an Ampeg BA-110 has 35w, & is $270 at MF.

Additionally, I've been tracking several makes/models in ebay sales over the past month. You could probably get an Ampeg BA-115 for around $300 on ebay. Definately an SWR WM10,,, maybe a WM12.

There's a number of great little amps, that are in your price range.

9. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I would like to try the Ashdown 515 but have not found a place in LA to try it yet. (I must say I have not really looked since early summer). I like my Peavy Minx I got used for $115. It was in OK condition other than a loose input jack, but then it has two of them. Just keep trying them when you can and use your effects. Carvin has a 10 day return policy , no questions, and I bet other mail order houses do to?

Danny

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    YIPPEE,

I just picked up a BA-115SP for about $350.

It CAN be done!

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN