Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is GK tone out of fashion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 28, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    speaking about bass amps Gallien Krueger seems to be one of the less talked about brands here at talkbass.

i see a lot about MESA, EBS, EDEN, ashdown... quite nothing about GK... but i really like a lot G-K tone. am i alone?

why?

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    You're not alone. There are a lot of guys who like GK. They are just in hibernation right now. You'll see them at some point. A lot of other brands get a lot of time on boards because they are still relatively new to the market and the players are discovering what they are all about. I wouldn't worry. Even if no one else liked GK, it's what YOU LIKE to hear that's important. You are the one who needs to be happy with your tone. If you find your tone in GK let no one sway you otherwise. If you find something you like better than GK then get that. It's not complicated. Play the GK. I have an GK 800rb and a Glockenklang Soul. I like both a lot.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...that dude is Trippin'...

...he dunno what he's talk' 'bout!

(Them Lousy-ana boys is that way, y'see...)

;)

Heya Trip, what's with the new account/handle? Hope all's well there in Cajun-land! :D

Oh, and on topic: Yeah, Trip's right, the main thing is do you like it? If you do, then it's good, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

4. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    I like the tone I get from my GK 400RB.
    Granted it's the only amp I've owned other than a Crate BX25 and the only one I've played for any significant amount of time... ;)

5. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    & out of style

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    "Heya Trip, what's with the new account/handle? Hope all's well there in Cajun-land!"

Hey there Gard. Had to change the handle for the supporting member thing. It's one of them things you know. As for things in Lousy-ana, it's just plain hot and rainy. You gotta know how that is...
    On another note, if GK was out of style and our pal was alone, why is GK still in business. Your statement was not logical. Birkenstock was around a long time before they became the fad and fashion.

7. I for one love the GK tone. GK amps tend to be quite common at the shows I go to (ranging from hip hop to punk) and when a person who knows how to use them has one, they sound great. I intend for my first head to be a GK 700rb or 800rb (maybe a 1001 depending on the deal).

And I think GK gets mentioned quite a bit. It's just that for every 5 Ampeg posts, there's 1 GK post. ;) Really, if I didn't read these boards I never would have even considered GK or thought of Peavey for that matter. The later Peavey heads are even more overlooked than GK heads.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    "Whaaaaah?"

I see plenty of GK posts here????

They've been around a long time, so they might not get the "hip inquiries" that some of the newcomers get, but GK is definitely discussed.

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    So be lonely no more! You are among friends.:D

10. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    For 12 years, I used a 1970's Ampeg SVT with either 2 Ampeg 810 cabinets or 2 EV 15's. In 1985, I discovered the GK 400RB. I used this amp with 2 EV 15's until recently when I acquired a GK 1001RB and a 210RBH cabinet. I still think that the 400RB is the next best thing to a 70's SVT (at about 70 pounds lighter). I also tried an Eden WT400 before buying the 1001RB. I happen to like the GK sound. My opinion; I could be wrong.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks guys.

i know if a thing is good for me, that's enough.

but you know, it's good to be among friends!!

;)

12. Nato

Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    I love the sound of the GK heads. I was playing a Marcus Miller Sig. Fender through one at guitar center and my dad (who has heard me play through millions of different heads and everything) commented on how good it sounded so that says something right there!

13. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I talk about gk all the time.
    I've owned SWR (4004 workin man head), Ampeg (V-9 vintage tube head), Peavey (old piece of junk from 80s). GK is by far my favorite head in the price range. Mine broke right out of the box but it was easy enough to fix and sounds so good I forgave it.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    You know, that's my favorite GK head. Why don't any of the others sound like it?

15. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    My college roommate (before I played bass) had a GK400RB he played through a (I think Yamaha 215). I view it about like my Carvin head. A fine utilitarian piece of equipment. Maybe not as [Tonal Modifier] as [Trendy Brand] but it will probably work for you where [Trendy Brand] doesn't quite fit in because it's too [Tonal Modifier] or not enough [inverse of Tonal Modifier]. I considered the 800RB when I decided to go to separates instead. When my power amp died a couple of weeks after buying it (I got ebayed) - I wish I'd gone with the GK instead.

Where Tonal Modifier = Warm/dull, Fat/boomy, Punchy/midrangey, Crisp/Harsh, Airy/brittle, Transparent/Sterile.

Trendy Brands get all the press attention, and that means in the forums too - but as popular as it is to rail against <Wal-Mart, McDonalds>, a TON of people still shop there - and I bet that includes a lot of the people who rail against them. Just because they aren't getting press doesn't mean they're not good or they're not selling. It might just be that they're not exciting to write about.

16. Yeah, I think the GK stuff is okay;) Seriously, I am discovering that the GK 800RB has been and remains one of the most popular bass heads ever for pro live gigs.

BTW Trip, your set at BassQuake is being extended. Keith had to cancel.

17. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I prefer the sound of GK to Ampeg. Maybe not GK cabinets but GK heads yes. I only wish the newer 700RB wouldve been out at the time I purchased my rig. :(

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Good tone never goes out of fashion and my 2001RB has plenty of both(good tone and fashion):D

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ... are we a silent majority?

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I personally have never seen nor tried GK stuff locally!

However, at a recent Chilli Peppers gig, there was plenty on stage!!! Four 4 x 10s and four 1 x 15s if I remember rightly!

Guess Flea likes 'em!