1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is "Glide" the "Stairway to Heaven" of bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    When I was first getting started on the bass my teacher showed me what I thought was an EXTREMELY obscure bass riff from the tune "Glide" by Pleasure.

10 years later I'm messing around with it in an all bass store. The guys working point to a sign that says "No Glide"....like the scene in Waynes World where they point to the "No Stairway to Heaven Song".

I've never heard the tune, heard anyone mention it. or play it since back in the day during that lesson. It was funny.

So do people know this tune haha???:confused:

I thought Higher Ground would be a better fit.

ps. if you like funky bass go download Glide. It's kinda challenging.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't know Glide. I think I've never heard it. As a matter of fact, I don't know Pleasure either.
    "Come as you are" comes to mind as the most obnoxious and annoying music store bass line.

3. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I doubt you can say its the Stairway to HEaven of the bass cause Ive never heard of it and Ive never really heard it mentioned on here or anything.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    No.

5. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'd say that Higher Ground is the Stairway to Heaven of bass.

6. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    School Days, by Stanley Clark...when I was a kid.

Now? I have no idea.

7. I thought Sunshine of Your Love was the "Stairway to Heaven" of bass...

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Glide is a great bassline.

I think in an all bass store, that makes sense they have a sign like that.
    LOL

And yes I can play it. It's a great way to test out how a bass slaps :smug:

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Glide was a funk bass players anthem back in the 70's along with anything Mark Adams, Larry Graham or Louis Johnson did! Not a difficult song but the precision in playing it is the test!

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah musically it's not tricky...it's kinda a tricky line though...

during the part he's chording those thirds...he's doing a muted rhythm patern too that's really cool....if that made any sense...

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Was it at LDS? Among funk / Gospel players in the D it is certainly one of the signature licks. It's funny, they have a list on the wall of "not allowed" lines and one of them is Spain? As soon as I learned that line with the head, they banned it! I guess they figured If I could play it, it was too damn easy.:D

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, I used to play it. Everybody around here used to play it. I played it every other night for four weeks. I don't wanna play it no more. :bawl:

Ainyone remember "Invisible Man's Band"? 'All Night Thing'? I used to like that, too.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, All Night Thang was a hot tune! I'm trying to get my band to play it!

14. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    never heard it.

IMO there isn't a "stairway to heaven" for bass these days as much as flavor of the week slap runs

15. I always thought Money by Pink Floyd was the one you weren't supposed to play in the shops...

anyway, I usually play Badge, Politician and The Thrill is Gone...

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Funky line. I can imagine it getting pretty irritating though!

17. I don't understand that "don't play this or that song" policy on music shops.

I understand that it can be quite obnoxious to hear that lines over and over, but, in the end, I'm there to BUY something, and the customer IS ALWAYS RIGHT, so there should be no questioning in how I try their products.

18. I love these threads. I always go off and learn or start playing the lines people on here say annoy other people. I had no idea Sunshine Of Your Love was in this category. It's now on my try out play list.

One things that annoys people is playing a familiar line, then telling them you can't remember who or what it is.

This happened to me once genuinely and the guy was so frustrated working it out, then accused me of lying to him on the grounds that surely if I can play it I can remember what it is!

So from then on it's deliberately! :bassist:

19. :confused:
    Play Stairway to Heaven on bass then!

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    One of my bass testing tunes!

I've never heard the orignal "Glide", only the cover by Vail Johnson.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021