Is greenday a punk band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Oh, god. I'm in my school library which doesn't allow me to do this stuff.(Whew,she just came over)
    Anyway I can't type a full opinion on fear of getting caught. So my question is:
    Do you consider Greenday a punk band...good band? I do, but thats all I can say right now.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Supposedly Green Day are a punk band, but they're not what I consider punk.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I don't consider Greenday punk because:

1) They don't sound punk
    2) Thier angnst seems phony or contrived
    3) They don't have much originality. IE: others have done it better, with less fanfare, and more artistry while still sounding more rebellious.
    4) That oh so fake English accent
    5) They don't make me want to Drink Beer!
    6) They don't Rock in that jovial celebratory way of Punk Bands...Too many heavy trips.
    7) They wouldn't scare my parents.
    8) They are on a MAJOR LABEL. So they are no good!
  4. I like what Rolling Stone said a few years back: "So many so-called 'punk-pop' bands are really just playing good old fashioned rock and roll." Green Day definitely falls into that category.

And really, aren't labels like that irrelevant? How does one define "punk?" Is it mohawks and bad hygiene? Incoherently formed left-wing political ideals? Bad vocal intonation?
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like em! Great Pbass and Ripper tones from Mike Drint, I wouldn't exactly call them punk but they rock.
    Then of course I'm a old fart and come from the old school of punk
    Sex Pistols
    The Ramones
    Dead Kennedy's
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Punk is all of the above Pete, along with an absolute maximum of 3 chords :D
  7. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    greenday punk?
    i dont think so.. but. they are a good band regardless and being punk doesn't make them any better or any worse...
    I think the replacements are one of the tightest bands of piss drunks ive ever heard though!

I think you nailed it with the rolling stones comment.. Its just rock n roll and leave rock and roll at that.. dont catorgarize it like "FOLK ART PROG DEATH BLACK GRIND METAL"

thats just gay...
  8. old green day is okay music. i don't know if I'd really call them punk. but i guess if you like it, who cares what it's called, right?
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to name drop - but coming from an old late 70's punk band who shared the stage with the Ramones and toured with The Welders;

- Green Day, IMO, is band that plays music "in a punk style."

Being a true punk band meant more than the notes you played and how you played them. It was a sub-culture and what you played was a statement.

I don't think Green Day's music offends people and that seemed to be one thing my band, The Foes, and our contemporaries did very well at the time even though that wasn't our singular aim.

If you enjoy their stuff, that's all that counts. I certainly like Dirnt's playing and tone.
  10. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Thank you...

11. I hate that. After two slashes or extentions I make it a rule to just put "whatever"

Green Day (why isn't anyone using spaces...?) played with punk bands back in the day, were on punk labels, know people in punk bands, are good friends with old punkers. As for punk...well, Devo and the Minutemen qualify as punk, why not Green Day?

Though, personally, I don't see how it matters.
  12. you're welcome. just saying what i mean...or meaning what i of those.
  13. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I'm still confused on why it matters. Has'nt this been done to death?
  14. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    rickbass.. hehe i agree somewhat..
    anybody say anti-nowheres League??
    and crass???
    ..rick what do you think of GG ALLIN?

=D ANL was cool.. and so was crass
    GG allin was nuts though.. i wonder what would happen if he was still alive..
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nick - I appreciate you thinking an old punker's opinion might be worth something.

My opinion - GG was too much about theatrics and not enough about music.

Case in point - Alice Cooper, (the band), could play their asses off after Ezrin and Shep Gordon brought in some some pro's to teach them how to really play their instruments well.

Those guys understood where the music was coming from and the band was bigger than the "freak show."

The reason I bring that up is because the original Cooper musicians became subordinate to the show and it just didn't work, musically.
    The marketing "geniuses" (to use a term loosely) tried to fix it by bringing in great musicians like Dick Wagner and Prakash John, (hope I got his name right). But the theatrics still dominated.

So, bottomline, GG was just in the wrong venue, IMO. He should have been in "performance theater" instead of music on an international scale for all the people who see "art" in a self-destructive person. GG's band always sucked, IMO.

I much preferred Wendy O William's band --- The Plasmatics. She was self-destuctive, too, but her band rocked, IMO, before she comitted suicide.

16. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    That was the original punk impulse, horrified with prog rock and concept albums, punk decided to make 3 minute tunes without bizarre or obscure literary references or full orchestral treatments or reversed lyrics. The word punk even is a reference to 1950's thugs. It's not an accident that the Ramones wore leather jackets like those of Brando, or James Dean.
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    A friend of mine characterizes his very standard modern-rock tunes as "progressive emo". It seems that sometimes people can't admit that they are just making rock...
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    greenday uses pitch correction on their vocals, therefore greenday is not punk. simple.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

While thinking more about this, alot of 'punk" rock didn't really bemoan the situations the "punkers" found themselves in.

They laughed at themselves along with the rest of the world.

Most fun or great punk bands' songs reflected thier surroundings, they didn't go for trying to make the audience "think" or "get involved".

They took the Califonia 'whine" out of the FM "rock 'n' roll" medium and fed it Beer and other methamphetamine type stimulants.

They made Rock music FUN!

You'll sell more records making FUN music, than "heavy trips" tunes any day. :D
  20. Green Day, a punk band? I don't think so, despite how much the band themselves like to claim that they are. I believe they lived the punk lifestyle back in the day before they hit it big, but their music has never been very punk. Hell, most of the songs on their first two albums are about girls, how un-punk is that? :eek: Nonetheless, they are my favorite band and have been since I was first introduced to popular music in '94, and their songs still speak to me in a way that nothing else can, punk or not. So... punk band? Nah. Good band? Without a doubt.

JT, explain please. My confusion is probably due to my not knowing exactly what pitch correction is... Are we talking about shifting entire songs to keys that Billie Joe can't really sing, or fixing slightly-off notes in postproduction, or something completely different? :confused: Can you point me to a specific example, or is this the sort of thing that is just kinda present throughout the albums?