1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is Guitar Center Serious? $210 trade value for Ampeg SVT III Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outoftune, Jun 8, 2014.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I had a long diatribe typed out but lost it somehow. Anyway I took my SVT III Pro to GC to trade in after calling and asking how much they could give me. Ball park was $400.00. Couple days go by and I can get up there today. I talk to the same guy who told me the ball park trade in price. He starts searching around the computer then gets another guy and he starts searching. What are they looking for? eBay prices. Never even opening the case to look at the amp. Not once. They are both talking in code, looking at the computer then settle in on a price. $210.00. Guy tells me that they sit around a while and from what he saw on eBay they are all over the place in price. $170.00 one is being sold for. I told him no way, it's a parts machine. He looks, yep that's what it was. Needless to say I took my amp with me when I left.
    Am I wrong to feel insulted by that price? It won't be listed on Craigslist for $210.00

carsbybigd likes this.
  2. Yeah,and they would have turned around and sold it for $1000.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, they have a used one for sale on their site at $475, which means you may have been able to talk them up to $250. They typically pay about half of what they think they can sell it for, and usually that's around one-fourth of MAP.

Fred312b and outoftune like this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not when a new one is $1,100 and a restock is $800.

5. This is 100% standard practice.

-Is it insulting? Yes.
    -Do they care? No
    -Can you get a better deal? Yup, but then you have to do more than drive to GC. They're counting on you not.

6. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It really felt like they were bumbling along looking for the lowest price on eBay. I figured they would maybe take a look at the amp, assess it then form a price point based on what they saw. Nope, wrong. I can understand looking at the going rate but why not look ya your own site.
    After looking for myself they do list them at $350.00. Wow. For an amp that books at a grand that is a huge hit for used.

7. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Sorry to burst your bubble, man, but that's how a business works. They are only going to buy it if they can make money off of it. Considering the risk of having it sit around unsold and any potential problems that aren't apparent to them during the inspection, it would be foolish on their part to do so. If you feel insulted by it, then you are clearly ignorant of that. They aren't a buyer looking to use it or collect it, they are a reseller. Also, SVT 3 Pro's can be found for a song compared to their new price. You can find a used one at GC for around $400 (they have a few of the older 3 pro's for a little over $300 right now). That's just current market value for a used 3 Pro (and also why I always by used, less money lost in a resale).

Basically, Guitar Center is much like a pawn shop. If you need quick cash, go for it, but if you have the time to post it locally on Craigslist (or on the TB Classifieds), then it's much more worth your while.

8. I completely agree. I thought they would have like a "Guitar Kelly Blue Book" or something. It's pretty absurd.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "blue books" for MI gear are kind of a thing of the past. an ebay "completed listings" search is probably as good an indicator of value range as exists anymore.

if they were gonna sell it for $400, then you got about the right offer. think of it as "wholesaling" the amp to the store, rather than selling it yourself "retail", where you might actually get close to that $400 if you wait long enough and don't mind the hassle.

Awesome Sauce likes this.
  10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Yes, you are wrong to feel insulted by that price imho. People tend to want to pay as little as possible when they buy, but then magically want top dollar when they sell or trade in. There is a saying, "wholesale for wholesale, retail for retail." It is the reality of running a business. As others have stated, a typical rule of thumb is that the store will double the price of whatever they buy, and people who come into buy are always shopping price. So they have to put as little as possible into used gear.

As for the trade value vs what you can sell it for privately - there should be a significant difference in that. You are paying for convenience. If you trade it, you don't have to place an ad and deal with CL flakes, scammers, bad checks, etc. That is worth some amount of money, and the value is different for different people. So their offer isn't an insult - it is the reality of the marketplace. Only thing to get annoyed by is the "ballpark" figure, but never trust that. Trade-in deals are done in person and if someone offers you what you think you can sell it for privately, you should know they are clueless and it likely won't fly.

Working at Guitar Center when I was 19 years old was a very instructive experience. Plus it was back in the bad old days (around 1980) when deals were written up, cash collected, then had to be approved by the "manager." The first offer was *never* approved unless it was full retail price.

StuartV and Bmorefoozler like this.
  11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    $210 is pretty good for trade-in on that amp. Should be about half what they'll try selling it for, leaving them room to deal with next buyer.

They're supposed to make money on the thing, not give it away. If you want full price, sell it on craigslist or ebay yourself.

MoeTown1986, Winfred and CL400Peavey like this.
  12. +1

And good luck selling it at double what GC offered you. The world of amps has changed since the 3-pro was first released. There are lighter, more powerful, cheaper, and wonderful sounding amps out there. The 3-Pro isnt iconic enough to retain much more value as it is a pretty common amp.

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't be insulted - it's not personal, it's business, nothing more. If you want the easy cash, take the hit. If you want to list it, deal with tire-kickers, and take the chance of not selling it, go for it.

With the internet, prices can change on a dime. I would guess they have a set percent of what I would list it for, with a little wiggle room depending on how much they want it, and how much they think they can hammer you for.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Yep.

It's Ampegs 80's/90's leadsled bass amp, with a couple tricks in it to get the tubey Ampeg tone.

I happen to like them, but they are plentiful and inexpensive used.

$210 is a nice offer.

CL400Peavey likes this.
  15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Never trade with a store. You will never get value for your item.

Now you know. Sell it here.

vmabus likes this.
  16. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Seems spot on to me.

17. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Nov 18, 2013
    Here is the deal... they will give you about 60% of what they think they can sell it for (or the lowest listed price they have for it)

So if they offered you 210 they expected to sell it for just under 400. Is 400 for this amp unreasonable?

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

It's reasonable..

They come up on CL here quite a bit asking $400-$500 and end up selling around $325-$350.

19. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Nov 18, 2013
    If you have nice mint condition gear by all means sell it directly to sombody who would appreciate it.

Now on the other hand if you have gear with some annoying but not obvious problem.... something that would be difficult to sell to another player... often you can use guitar centers ignorance/laziness against them and actually get a good deal :)

tbasstreble11 likes this.
  20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm just glad you didn't give in.