Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is HARTKE 3500 good ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, May 24, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I just bought a Hartke 3500.
    Do you think it is good stuff or not??
    I sue it with a 1x15' 1980's Mesa cab.. Is it a good choice? What cab woulkd u use??

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a very good amp. It'd be interesting to try it with one of their new pro 210's.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's loud, cheap, reliable and toneless.
    Some people have use for this, some won't.

4. I wouldn't say toneless. I recorded some w/ a mic'ed cab that I built, using a hartke 3500. I'm still suprised how it sounded. But, everything else on there is poo. LOL :D

It's a very good amp for little $. Hard to kill, decent construction, good customer service (I know it's samson, and they do. Trust me). Sounds good to me BTW. Graphic EQ is a great thing.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its a good amp.

Ive never had one fail on me in the many years that Ive had my amp. It was used and the previous owner (a friend of mine had it for several years before I bought it without any problems)

The only 2 complaints I have about the amps are the lack of a midrange control in the shelving where the bass and treble ones are. Im also not crazy about the compressor in them. IMO they could do a better job.

I wouldnt say they are toneless. I run mine through a Carvin 4x10 and get compliments on my tone all the time.

6. Ditto for me.
    Its been a real good amp. Inexpensive, reliable and maintence free(okay except one tube change and a cleanng since 1993).
    its not perfect, but it gets the job done, i have three nigs which i've learned to work around
    1) the compressor=useless.
    2) the only way to get decent midrange is to dial in thru the built in EQ. while not too much of a problem when i activate the eq i get hissing. So I learn to live w/ the hissing or dial in midrange w/ the bass on board EQ,
    3) I find little difference the tone of the tube at 100% and the solid state at 100%. So to me your not getting much tube warmth w/ 100% tube.
    However to me, the amp does sound good. So I keep it
    frank

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Toneless? Not in my experience. With the right cab, you can get excellent tone. The one I had was in a combo with a 15 and a 5, and it sounded great. The guy I sold it to plays it through an Eden D-212XLT. That gets excellent tone, too.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I mean toneless literally.
    They have no tone of their own.
    No color if you prefer.

If you get compliments it's because you plug a good bass in it.
    Plug a frying pan and it will sound terrible.

10. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i tend to think the 3500 is a tad bit more hi-fi then anythign else, but still rather uncolored. it's a great amp, and it's LOUD!

it's got enough power for most applications, it's cheap, sounds good for the money, and is loud. what else can you ask for?

i pair mine with an avatar 2x10 8 ohm and it's loud as it is (not even running @ 350watts).

11. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It is a good amp as far as power is concerned, but the high end hiss drove me nuts. I had it hooked up to a 410 BXL and a 210 XL, and other than the hiss, it sounded O.K. I eventually switched to an Ampeg SVT III and a 610 hlf just to get more of the low end and get rid of the hiss.

12. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had my 3500 for 3+ years and it's a good amp for the money I paid.

The amp can get a little noisy and hissy but I turn the last slider on the amp's eq completly down and that helps a lot. The amp really is very loud.
    I've never heard what a good compressor sounds like but I can say that the Hartke's doesn't do almost anything but squash your sound. I never use it. The tube pre-amp isn't great nor awful but I turn it to 7 and the solid-state preamp to 3-4 and get a decent sound that way.

If anyone really wants the Hartke to sound 200% better and like a real tube amp, I advise everyone to get a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. It's the best purchase I've made aside from my Lakland bass. It made even my old Peavey tko sound great. It'll make any amp sound like a really expensive tube amp, and that's why I use it with my Hartke 3500.

13. I've owned my Hartke 3500 for over two months now, and never used it, with the exception of playing a new one at samash... LIke I said many times, I plugged my Schecter 5 string into it, pluged into 410XL cab and it was very loud. When used in tandem with a VX115 cab it was louder and could handle just about any situation I'd ever do. Hell, I could live off of the 410. THe VX115 lacked the volume as the 410, but that's because its hartke's cheaper cabs, the VX series. To say the 3500 is a toneless product is false:rolleyes:. It's got more tone than any Peavey I've played through... It sounded excellent when my teacher plugged his upright into it into his Bag End 12 cab. It's killer. Seriously though, it's loud, has enough tone shaping for me, and it's overall a great amp. It's not Eden, but come on? THese are $450 amps; I got mine for $300 used.

14. I used it with a ampeg svt410hlf cab(500w rms) and I ruined a tweeter, this is a bad combination I think.
    In the beginning, when I played crisp highs or slapped, the cab lighted up, and the next week a tweeter was ruined.

I sold my hartke and replaced it with a EBS TD650 and I never had this problem again.
    Very strange because the hartke is 350 W and the EBS is 650 W !!??

15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It's a great amp. I owned and gigged with one for about 5 years, and I never had a problem with it. The high end hiss was there.. and although not noticible at gigs, it was noticible to me at home in my living room. Other than that though, it's a sound investment(EDIT-get it? sound investment? haha.... oh man.. I'm an ass.).

Oh yeah, don't use the compressor. Don't ever use the compressor.

16. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    It's a good, loud, reliable amp (esp. for the money). I admit I'm not too crazy about the
    tone but my Sans Amp BDDI gives me all the tone
    I need. I use it with a Hartke 410 XL cab I've
    had for 12 years.

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If I was'nt better fed than tought. I would own one. They are light, powerful, have lots of tone,and reliable.

18. Hartke 3500

-just bought one a few months back and have been pleased with it thus far. I'm using a 4x10 cab, and aside from the high end hiss which others have mentioned, I have no complaints.

19. godlikenothing

godlikenothing

May 25, 2003
    IL
    I was just looking into buying one of these, but I have a question about it. Should I get the 3500 or save some money and get the 3000? I believe the price difference is only $50 or so yet I'd like to save as much money as possible.

Oh yeah, I'm getting a Hartke VX410 with whichever head I choose.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Get the 3500. The 3000 is a different style of amp.