Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is Hartke the answer??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have a problem, I need you bass players to give me some feed back on the best amp to use for my bass. here are my surroundings
    1: I play in a church which is the size of a average gym.

2: the surrounding walls are BRICK! (yeah I know)

3: my current setup now is a SWR 8x8, with a eden traveler head. (I hate the sound from this set up!! very muddy, no cut through at all) .....:spit:

4: I play a Peavey Cirrus six, Smith burner 5, Marcus miller 4, and Alembic rogue 5,

I have heard alot about Hartke, but never had to use one in this kind of a setting, is Hartke the answer, please advise asap. we are going amp shopping this week!:cool:

PEACE AND BLESSING

Holla, if ya hear me!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Best case, I would try to minimize my projection on stage and get most of my sound through the mix. It just seems better to me with the full mix coming across the crowd together.
    I'd assume you have house speakers through the hall and aren't just sending from the stage.

Hartke's are OK. I like the tone I get from the 12" kickback and I'm pretty sure it's mostly the speaker I like.

The Transporters are lower quality but I've gotten nice tone from the XL 410 (?). I've never used one in that setting though.

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I used to have a Hartke 3500 head coupled with a Transporter 4x10 and a Transporter 1x15. It sounded pretty good. Lots of midrange. However, I'd suggest the XL cabinets. The magnets are much bigger and seem to handle much better than the Transporters.

Note though, that I did get rid of all my Hartke stuff for an SWR rig, so my opinion may not be the best for you :) :cool: Hope I helped a little anyways.

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Just my opinion but I would say no. I would think you need a different head. I used a henry cab for a long time and it sounded great. I used it with a Hartke 7000 head for a few years. I thought that it sounded great with an SWR sm900 or a gk 2001. You really need more power than that eden can put out. I woud say on the order of 600-800 watts. The one thing about the henry is it takes a little more than average power to make it sing and to give you a little headroom. Roll your cab to a few shops and try a few different heads but try the more powerful and you might be suprised. Hell ya never know it may be hartke but it wasnt for me.

5. I think there might be a different reason for your muddiness, maybe EQ?

It's my opinion that Eden cabs are muddy, but I would think your SWR cab, with it's 8s, would be very tight and focused; I know my Ampeg 8s are.

Have you tried setting everything flat? I think alot of bass players crank the bass, I guess thinking that "hey, it's a bass, so turn up the bass". I dunno.

Mark

6. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Actually, Ihave tried setting my eq flat, I have adj that head every way I could, one problem with that set up is you have to stand right in front of the amp to hear it, if you stand to the right or the left, you can hardly hear it at all. I was/and still not sure if the problem is the head or the cab, or both. Playing in a building surrounded by brick walls is not helping either!:bawl:

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd say, no, Hartke is not the answer. The Henry is an excellent cab, very punchy and quite loud. I think what you need is an amp with more juice, my good man! Which Eden are you using? WT300? 400?

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    One thing you might check is have another person play your bass and you stand a little further away and check the sound out. I had a buddy that was using a henry at a gig and in front of it he could not hear a darn thing so he turned it up until he could hear but what suprised us both was that cab had a lot more throw than we thought. He was killing in the mid and back rows so its worth checking out. Another thing he did was to make a little stand to put it on about 10-12 inches high and that helped out a good bit and it got the sound closer to ear level.

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    your quote

"I'd say, no, Hartke is not the answer. The Henry is an excellent cab, very punchy and quite loud. I think what you need is an amp with more juice, my good man! Which Eden are you using? WT300? 400?"

I dont know off the top of my head (shame) do you really feal a amp with more juice will solve this issue? that would be nice, a lot cheaper than replacing both units!

10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    your quote

"One thing you might check is have another person play your bass and you stand a little further away and check the sound out. I had a buddy that was using a henry at a gig and in front of it he could not hear a darn thing so he turned it up until he could hear but what suprised us both was that cab had a lot more throw than we thought. He was killing in the mid and back rows so its worth checking out. Another thing he did was to make a little stand to put it on about 10-12 inches high and that helped out a good bit and it got the sound closer to ear level.
    "

You know, I hear people tell me that the bass is too loud in the back of the building, but what frustrates the heck out of me is that while it is loud back there, I cannot hear crisp bass notes and I AM STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT! I want to be able to just play a note on me B stirng or E string, and have the amp just BLOW me off the stage with chrisp cut through notes, that cut through the keyboard and drums. you know???
    man oh man
    :bawl: :bawl:

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Based on the info. you've provided, yes.