1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is having too much gear bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aldousv, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Aldousv

Aldousv

Aug 5, 2015
    Kansas City
    I was listening to a Rick Beato video on how much gear you actually need, the cost and use of it, etc. It got me thinking on how people (at least in the US) spend their money.

I don’t understand why having $20,000 worth of musical gear has a stigma that you have to justify but having a sports car, an unnecessarily large house, motorcycles or any other hobby seems to not turn any heads.

I drive a 2004 Honda that is reliable because I just want my car to work well and take me from A to B. I put all my “fun” money into gear because I love playing, owning and sharing the experience of music even if I wasn’t gigging regularly.

Why is there a stigma around music gear, even among pros, when it seems people spend money in many other things that fall in the same category?

B-Mac, morse, amper and 24 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The issue isn't having too much gear. It's thinking gear will make you play better, rather than practicing.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    This or, in my experience, the options paralysis that can come from having too many pieces of gear to choose from. I used to spend more time going from bass to bass instead of actually practicing.

4. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    It tends to clutter up a room.

5. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    but it's lovely clutter

B-Mac, Dan Stone, Rat Blitz and 23 others like this.
  6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    It’s bad only if you think so.

7. Aldousv

Aldousv

Aug 5, 2015
    Kansas City
    I agree but for some reason the economic aspect is often brought up and that’s the pet I don’t get.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    By definition, "too much" of anything is bad.... because it's too much.

You don't have too much gear, in YOUR opinion (which is all that matters).

I think all hobbies deal with this in some sense. I know guys who live in average homes amd drive average cars, but have ridiculously large investments in guns, ham radio equipment, baseball collectables, comic books, etc.

I also have friends who get attached to "things". I never have. I buy and sell frequently (but not as a flipper). I just like to try stuff. One friend is still mad at me for selling a Fender Roscoe Beck Signature bass a few years ago. And he's a guitar player. Go figure. But he was more attached to my bass than I was.

Short version: All hobbies deal with this. And you shouldn't give a crap what someone else thinks of your investment in music gear.

9. I have 13 guitars and 7 basses and I sometimes feel guilty over having this much - mostly the guitars as the basses are lower cost items.

Thing is, I am also into cycling and have 5 bikes and don't feel guilty one bit over that. Most of the other people I know that are into cycling also have more than are needed.

I don't know. Maybe it's better than having spent the money on hookers and blow. Maybe not. :confused:

10. That depends on the size of your room.

11. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    It won't fill the hole.

12. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    Ah, then if you have a big enough room, you do not yet have too much gear.

13. If you spend more time fussing with your gear, settings, etc than actually playing music, then you have too much.

14. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    One bass is too many and a thousand basses is not enough.

15. Aldousv

Aldousv

Aug 5, 2015
    Kansas City
    This will be my next tat

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My only negative observation is spending $20K on music equipment is not typically a very good investment. But if you can pay the bills and set a bit aside some funds for a rainy day, I don't have a problem with it. It's your money, spend it however you like.

sonojono, Kijuer, 12BitSlab and 3 others like this.
  17. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    There is no stigma its ones choice how much to spend.
    There is a negative aspect to it like spending all the time shopping instead of playing and hoarding stuff you dont use.
    IMO its sort of bad because its musical instruments after all,so to have it just sit there is a bit of a waste and thats the reason for the dont be a gearhead approach.

sonojono, Grapevine921 and BazzaBass like this.
  18. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Better to have more gear than you need than to need more gear than you have.

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    musician-1-someone-who-puts-5000-worth-of-gear-into-43493194.png

Nashrakh, Doug4321, Shaggai and 46 others like this.
  20. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Anything to do with the arts are valued less and looked at as being frivolous to some people, that's why engineers make more than (most) musicians. This carries over to the instruments they use. An engineer is a smart hard worker and a musician is someone just having fun, so he should be paid less. The instruments the musician uses are again for having fun, leisure time, not serious work. If the musician has a lot of instruments he is just wasting money. One fiddle, trumpet or bass guitar is enough for this non-worker. The engineer can have all the slide rules he wants.
    This applies, except for the very few that reach the pinnacle of their art, the equal of Michelangelo or some other superstar.

amper, sonojono, roycroft_88 and 4 others like this.