Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is "help me choose a bass"....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 7, 2004.

1. the new "maple vs. rosewood"? Not for nothing, but do you REALLY need help choosing a color or a particular bass in general? Can you not make up your mind what you think is a quality instrument?

Sure, bits of advice here and there are fine, in re: to pups or wood choices, but geez, I see this thread title come up so much lately, for kinda frivolous things really, and frankly I can't stand it....sorry, just being honest here.

If you are having a hard time choosing between a Stingray or a Spector, wow.... I wish I had that "problem".... you know what I'm saying? Make up your own mind.

Is it fear of buyers remorse, or does there really need to be this much hand-holding going on with the process of buying an instrument? Do you do everything in your life and make all your choices by committee?

What ever happenned to the good old days when you actually made an effort to go to a store and try out an actual instrument? If GC is your only choice, and they have an instrument you're serious in, tell them you want it set up how you like it to make sure. If you are serious about buying it, they should, no question.

In these days of internet shopping, I'm wholly surprised how many people are actually willing to shoot the works on an instrument they've never even played. Sure you have return policies, but the hassle, to me, outweighs the benefits.

Is it idle chatter that spawns these threads? Is it alot of daydreaming? It just gets really tired, and much in the way of there being an access to actual information on this site.

2. Lemmie rephrase: is it the new "P or J"??? but then again, there's yet ANOTHER "what's the difference" thread at the top of the Basses forum.

Really, it's pretty freaking obvious.

Topics that should be taboo (or at LEAST common knowledge)

Maple vs. Rosewood
    P vs. J
    Active vs. Passive
    MIM vs. MIJ vs. MIA (I mean come ON people!!!)
    poplar or ash or alder?
    Pick or no pick

Oh, the list is endless.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

I agree 100%!
    Just buy the damn thing and post pics already!

Can I go to the bathroom now.... or should we poll it?

4. Oh, write up the poll while in the bathroom. Better than crosswords. :p

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ehh, I think peope are just interested in others opinion, sort of the point of a msg. board don't you think? If there were no TB I doubt they'd have any trouble at all choosing. In fact, if you look at the result of many of those type threads people have already made up there minds when they post, they just want different perspectives.

6. Of course, but even since I typed my initial post, there's a new P or J thread AND a poll.

COME ON PEOPLE! These instruments have been around for 40+ years. If you don't know the ins and outs by now, hang it up.

Seriously tho. I remember someone posting "help me choose a color". WHAT?!?!? Are you going to let someone sway an opinion of WHAT COLOR YOU LIKE???

Simple: go with black or white if you're that undecisive.
    Or natural.

Do you play bass, or stand in front of a mirror?

Not trying to pick at people directly, but that's what's wrong with this board. So much random thought and wishlist nonsense, and not enough actual meat.

I like seeing threads about people that DO. Build, buy or otherwise.

Of course talk is healthy, and yup, this is a message board. But there's got to be more to it than picking up an issue of Bass Player magazine, seeing a review on a BRAND NEW product, and foregoing the process of searching it out yourself, instead asking if people here have tried it over and over. We're in the same boat, it's a new product. Search it out, try it, and TELL US! Write a review. Do SOMETHING!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    so...my cousin and this girl and me were talkin and then over at GC the sales guy said Warwick, but my friend LOL was like just string up a bat you know so like...should I get the white P bass or the Red Jazz?which is more Punk :bassist:

:p

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    i guess I just don't get how one can get so riled up about things like this. Frankly, I'm sick of the "I'm sick of this that or the other thing" threads, but hey, this is the interweb, I can shut of my magical interweb viewer box and go do something in real life rather than post a new thread about it. Anyway, no biggie just my .02$

:) :eyebrow: :cool:

9. Thing is, I also hate how words lose their intent on a message board. I had no ill tone in my posts, just making observations...I'm not riled in the least, regardless of bad day or not...

carry on people.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    True, I didn't expect you were foaming at the mouth or anything! ;) I was imagining this entire exchange as a sort of good natured rant, like people do conversationaly once in a while. I hope you don't I think I had some ill tone in my posts? I was trying to joke around at the same time, sometimes that doesn't work out. :p

11. No, and that's absolutely cool with me. Obviously I ruffled a few feathers around here, as there were a slurry of posts directly indicative of my "taboo" list in the last hour or so, and that's fine.

My post, and the other "not to start trouble" or whatever are definitely NOT rife with elitisism or anything, I just think this is a cool site, vs. the Fender Forum or whatever, where it seems the bass forum is an "also ran" or an "obligation"....like I said, a babble board with a bass problem.

If anyone took my post as accusatory, or a direct jab, I apologize, but I can't make a point without making a reference. I think the setup forum is great. I think the luthier forum is fantastic. I would love to see more discussion there... and like I said, I think a review section that was a bit more "active" would be cool, I know there's a database... ugh, it's a moot point.

I'm all for community. Hope I didn't burn a bridge. I'll be sure to use more ;) :p :cool: :) :D from now on...

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's all good Mon. :cool:

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, some people are pretty new to the whole bass thing, and they don't know what to do. seeing people complain about newbie questions turns away folks who might be intimidated.

that's not what this site is for. :eyebrow: :meh:

i would _never_ tell someone to hang it up because they didn't know something and they asked a question. that's just counter to everything this site stands for.

here's an idea. don't click on threads that you don't like - find the ones you do and please contribute to them. if you don't find any, make some, and i'm sure many folks will contribute.

please don't go about insulting folks who don't know as much as you. thanks. :)

14. Point taken John, and again, I apologize.

Sorry for the hair-across-my-patoot-posting. Let me rephrase, yet again:

If you want to know about the Precision vs. The Jazz bass, don't just type in "which is better" or any other broad blanket generalizations, get into the particulars you want to know, describe your aims and wants... or do yourself a little research...because it apparently makes jerks like me flare up....

(a little levity) :D

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO - When you're young, peer approval is so important........."Please vindicate my coolness." Conformity and a sense of "belonging" is valued, I know from my youth.

That's one of the great things about being an older sucker, such as I --- you don't give a flying fart as long as it pleases you.

16. Carry on my wayward son
    There'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don't you cry no more

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
    Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
    I was soaring ever higher
    But I flew too high

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
    Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
    I hear the voices when I'm dreaming
    I can hear them say

Masquerading as a man with a reason
    My charade is the event of the season
    And if I claim to be a wise man, well
    It surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
    Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
    I set a course for winds of fortune
    But I hear the voices say

No!

Carry on, you will always remember
    Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
    The center lights around your vanity
    But surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son
    There'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Don't you cry (don't you cry no more)

17. ah, the Voice of Reason, from Father Time. Hey Rickbass, you playing in KC/Westport anytime soon?

Good moderation, mod. And Mon Rominee, yes, the P and J have been around for 40+ years, but the rest of us haven't, so we might not know all there is to know about them. But the "what color" question I agree with you, kid needs to suck it up.

Mark

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

heh. no need to apologize, just remember, folks gotta start somewhere. new folks bring an enthusiasm that i find very refreshing - it can get stodgy around here when all that are around are know-it-alls. shoot, go check out the db side.

:D :hyper:

19. Damn you. Now this song is going through my head and it won't stop.

20. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Well said, sir. I can see they don't just sling those moderator jobs around.... ;)