Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is honesty a rare commodity in the Music Industry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by j-raj, Jan 7, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ok, here is an email that I received just after lunch today.

What do y'all think...?

2. Seems honest and legit. Doesn't it?

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sure it does. BUT, the fact that he is about to give me 'additional' $ on top of what he 'already' paid me for the studio session makes me wonder.

:confused:

I know that he has the $$bling$$ (the studio that he rented was a good indicator), so the amount to ask for is something I'll have to figure out... You think that he is afraid of being sued or something?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I suppose he could be afraid of getting sued.

OTOH, you did mention he has alot of money. He is prolly a good businessman, and recognizes the value of compensating people for their hard work. The length, and professionalism of his letter leads me to believe he is a successful businessman, who may possible want to work with you again in the future.

-Mike

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Well Mike, you might be right. He is a very professional and polite cat.

You are never going to be what kind of tune I was auditioning for... (gotta eat, right?)

PM-me and I'll send you a link to a MP3 of the tune that we recorded, with me on bass. Totally not what you are gonna expect...

:D

6. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    If he was afraid of getting sued I doubt he would be willing to put your name in the credits.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, he may be feeling you out as well. If you come back and charge him a fortune, he may write you off as a greedy punk, and look elsewhere next time. I am happy for you. I hope this works out bro.

PM sent....

-Mike

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    "The most endangered species,the honest man"

Rush, Natural Science, Part 3 - Permanant Waves.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ya know that did flash through mind briefly... that's funny you said that...

Ben_P,

yeah it didn't come across that way, but I'm going to email him back and give a modest price, for being honest and ask for a couple CD's for the archieves, cause it is always good to have the final pressings of tracks that you have been on in your portfolio. Credits are a plus.

For the rest of y'all, I'll share the 'tune' that I did with MJ5150 earlier:

http://www.jairaj.net/music/nuage.mp3

Think Yanni (Yawni) meets John Tesh meets Enya... My playing doesn't come in till about a 3rd of the tune has gone by...

I saw it as a gig, not a career move. So don't flame me on the spit for this one.

It's funny to think that last night I did BBQ Blues gig, this Saturday I'm going to be doing a studio thing for a Nu-Country artist, and then play a HipHop/Acid Jazz gig in the evening... What do they say, 'Variety is the spice of life'?

go figure...

10. Go for it. He may just think that he underpaid you, and wants you to get your fair share.

I did that once at Guitar Center. A customer sold us a guitar, for which I gave him around $500. Later is was told to me that the guitar that I bought off of him was worth much more, so I called him up, had him come in, and gave him a check for $400 more.

He was VERY happy. And we were able to put the piece on the wall at the price it should have been.

Rock on
    Eric