Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is is possible for a head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 10yardfight, Mar 1, 2006.

1. hey I have a question and maybe someone can help me out.. Is it possible that a head can be weak for a cab.. I have an Ampeg B-2R (200w@8ohms,350w@4ohms) with an Ampeg 6x10(classic)...When I turn up the volume the sounds gets muddy and the notes kinda fade in and fade out like if something is holding it back, if that makes any sense.. Before I had the 6x10 I had an ampeg 4x10 with a peavey 15 and I never had a problem with it. Attached with the head I have a korg rackmount tuner and a sans amp all going through a samson power conditioner. My fender bass has an EQ and I figured it was that the battery was shot.. I changed it and it still sound the same..anyone out there had a similar experience or knows whats up let me know.. thanks

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, that is an underpowered head, to be sure. But that "fade in/fade out" you described sounds a bit unusual.... almost sounds like you're describing a cab with drivers wired out of phase.

Try the cab with another head if you can.... see if you get the same effect....

3. yeah I'll definitely try that.. thanks man.. what wattage would you recommend that would be able to handle the 6x10?

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Your head can "handle" the cab just fine. Question is, does it have the horsepower for your playing situation?

If you're playing big rooms, outdoor gigs, etc., with little or no PA support and battling against loud guitarists and drummers..... you get the idea....

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Are you using the limiter?

The limiter can be turned off. If it is on, and you play "into it", so the limit light is on a lot (easy to do with lower power) you may run into an effect like that.

That can be more noticeable if you have some EQ boosted. Notes in the boosted range can "take over".

If limiter is on, try turning it off.

If you have a lot of low end boost, try taking it off. You don't really have the power to run a lot of low end boost and still get decent articulation of higher notes.

6. yes I do play with the limiter on.. I was told to always keep it on.. but I will try with it off.. Thanks