1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is is so Wrong that I Dislike my Bass Because it's not Aesthetically Pleasing to me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So I recently bought this killer, I mean KILLER bass. It plays great (sick low action), sounds awesome has 3+ octave neck (25 frets), whammy bar (although I don't use it). Our regular soundman even approached me (unsolicited) and told me that it's the best sounding bass he has ever heard live.

So even with all of this, I'm just not in love with the way it looks. I like the looks of traditional/classic basses (Fender Jazz, P, MM Stingray, etc). This bass has a slightly smaller, more modern looking body. I've been gigging it but something in me wants to strap on my Jazz or P, etc. Help me sort out the madness!

So have you ever found the perfect bass from a sound and feel department, but kicked it to the curb solely based on looks? What say you?????

20111221_204644.

20111221_204630.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    3.....2.....1.... to a Quadzilla sale thread :D

I am more of a function over form type of guy. If it sounds and plays amazing (as long as it isn't a neon color) I would play it. But that's just me. Trust yours ears and the sound guy of all people. I am sure he has heard some horrible tones in his time lol.

3. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I think it looks sick.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Look's cool, if it sounds that good give it some time it might grow on you.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No, I'm not listing her yet, that's for sure. The tone and playability is really, really there. I just need to get over this looks thing I think. It's driving me crazy.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was just thinking about this last night when I was playing my MTD CRB 5. I love the feel the playability and the tone. I just can not get past the look.

7. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Wouldn't matter how well it played & sounded, if I didn't like the look I wouldn't buy it.

8. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    If it sounds and feels as good as your saying, and isn't absolutely horrid looking(its not by the way :) ) I'd say keep it.

Also I think that looks pretty slick IMO.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I like the look of that bass way more than any traditionnal bass.

10. If it plays like a dream and sounds great, keep it. You will always regret if you sell.

BTW-What strings are those?

11. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    If it sounds amazing like you say, then why would you care what it looked like. On the other hand if it looked so horrid to you, why did you pick it up and play it in hte first place?

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I see what you mean... the shape of the body and headstock have a cort base model vibe to them, and that purple sticker on the headstock looks stupid.

the woodgrain of the pickups looks odd with the finish of the bass too.

13. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    You're right, it's ugly.

Give me $50, and I'll take it away for you... :bassist::hyper:

14. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    +1
    I wouldn't even pick it up and try it in the first place.
    Call me shallow if you will, but there are too many nice looking instruments in my opinion that play and sound great to waste time with an ugly one.

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm with you on this one, Quad.

A bass has to look really good to me to get me to pick it up and enjoy it...I like the classic looks too, Fender, MM, Ricks, etc.

Sure, if I'm in the studio and need to lay something down, I have no problem using what sounds best on a track no matter how it appeals to me aesthetically, but when I'm actually attracted to the bass, I feel like it can bring a lot more out in my playing...shallow, I know :meh:

16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    As long as the instrument is not "visually broadcasting" a strong personality that is counter to the rest of the band's presentation, like no hot pink basses in a death metal band, no Steinbergers in a bluegrass band... no problem.

No Pete Wentz basses, ever. Unless you're Pete Wentz.

17. First, I think that bass looks very nice. The tobacco burst finish makes it look modern-vintage to me. That said, I would never care how a bass looked if it played, sounded, and felt right, I'd play it. It's music, not a fashion show.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Basses are like women in the looks department: I would be friends with an ugly bass, but I wouldn't put myself in a position where I would be stuck with an ugly bass forever, no matter how great its personality was.

19. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    First and foremost you need two more bows in your DB quiver...
    Second, I once sold a bass that I didn't care for the looks of but LOVED the tone... I've regretted the sale ever since... I've also bought basses I loved the look of and played unamplified just to get it home and realize the tone wasn't for me, my Geddy Lee Jazz.
    I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell it, after playing it for a year or so it may become your favorite bass... if not then stick it in a case for a couple of years and break it back out again later to see if it grew on you...
    Thirdly... I can understand why you would feel that way about that bass, it doesn't do anything for me either. ;)

20. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    +1
    I am ugly but I make great music. LOL