1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it a crime to deny the holocaust in canada?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vacume, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    just curious wasnt shure if it was true

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    There was a Holocaust in Canada??

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Canuckistan had a holocaust?

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    There was a holocaust in Canada-land?

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I lol'd.

6. All those poor pancakes

I was unaware of any holocaust in canada?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Are there even enough Canadians to have a Holocaust?

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

It can be depending on where/how you are doing it. A teacher in Alberta was charged with a hate crime about 10 years ago for teaching his class that the holocaust didn't happen and that it was a Jewish conspiracy.

A native leader was convicted of a hate crime in 2005 for saying something to the effect that Hitler had the right idea. The issue was that he said it during an interview with a reporter so the claim was that he was attempting to promote hatred. In order to be convicted of a hate crime it has to be shown that the person was attempting to promote hatred. His conviction was later overturned on appeal.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Folks are getting charged with crimes that only occured in their thoughts?

Damn I better look out for Tom Cruise's Pre Crime unit.

10. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I don't know, but I hope not. I believe in freedom of speech, no matter how offensive or stupid your beliefs might be. The thought that you could imprison someone because of their beliefs is chilling to me. Unpopular thoughts and speech are exactly what NEED to be protected; there's no need to protect what is commonly accepted.

However, I know that Canada doesn't have the same guarantees as the US when it comes to this area, so I don't have any idea how to answer your question.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure. Is that not just a provision of the EU's human rights, or is in the UN statutes?

12. Without stirring into the political side, what about fundamentalist islamic extremeists (just as its a topical terror group), are they allowed, unhindered, to preach thier messages of detest (and what should happen apparently) to the west?

The problem i can see with the teacher example is the teacher ensighting hate towards jewish people in the pupils he was teaching.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Even scarier if ppl are getting charged under statutes passed by a foreign body that does not have jurisdiction over nor was elected by Canadians.

14. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Depends on if they are trying to invoke others to physical violence. I believe you have every right to be a moron, a racist, an extremist, etc. until you start taking action to harm other people or actively encouraging other brain-dead people to do the same.

Hurt feelings don't count.

15. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, teaching a classroom of children that the holocaust is a Jewish conspiracy didn't really only happen in the teacher's thoughts. :meh:

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I was thinking about the native leader. Anyhoo, back to the teacher.

So where was the crime there?

I would probably fire the teacher but charge him/her with a crime?

17. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    If you want to ensure that another Holocaust will happen, the best thing you can do is to sweep any discussion of it under the rug. People with views like this need to be openly debated and exposed, not driven into the underground for their views to ferment.

18. According to wikipedia it is.
    Not only in Canada but also in Spain, Belgium, Israel, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, New Zealand, Poland, South Afrika, France, Switzerland, Czech Republik, Slovakia, etc.

In most of these countries it's considered Hate Crime, Demagogie or Hate Speech and that is culable in different ways.

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I think Canadia, as a whole, is a conspiracy.

They're just Minnesotans.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Even as a paying user, you can lose your right to use Xbox LIVE if you deny the holocaust whilst using it.