1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is it a fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miltong565, Aug 23, 2012.

1. hi there. i recently acquired a lovely lake placid blue jazz bass with fretless (hohner) neck. the seller is quite sure the body is fender of some description, but i want to know more. i took the scratch plate off. ill try to describe the routing. the control cavity is normal depth and size, but at the neck side of it, it steps up, and it is routed out to the neck pickup. i wasnt sure if fender routed their jazz basses this way before, so if any of you could shed some light on this it would be a great help. there are no markings on the body anywhere.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Pics would go a long way in getting you help. :cool:

3. Take the neck off also. The neck pocket is where the tale is told with any Fender.

4. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    All of my jazzes have a continuous route from the neck pickup down through the control plate. Thats probably the reason for the control plate and pickguard design and because it's probably cheaper and easier to have the one continuous route than to try and drill a hole from the neck pickup cavity into the control cavity to run your wire for the pickup. The route probably won't tell you what you want to know though, check the neck pocket.