Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IS it a good guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Mar 1, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    this is a guitar question and it is about the tony iommi signature guitar
    is it wirth getting becuase my guitar player got ran over and has got a bit of money to spend from it so is it worth getting that or would you reccomend another type
    all i can remember is that it has to have humbuckers because we play alot of sabbath

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If I remember right, Black Sabbath stuff was played on a Gibson Les Paul Custom, at least when I saw them live back in '70s. Personally, I prefer late 70s/early 80s Les Paul Customs. Those in good condition can be had for around $1400, though I got mine for $800 2 years ago. No idea about that sig guitar you asked about...sorry.

3. this post has made my morning. :D

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    yeh i found it wuite hillarious at first but you should have seen the huage cut down hiss head

nasty

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    man,
    I gotta get hit by a car so I can get that wawrick 6 string :D

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    He also plays a Gibson SG I believe.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    True..I did see one of their very early appreances on British TV. He was playing a burgundy SG.

8. I can't say for sure, but I'd have to think that the signature guitar would be an SG - he's very well known for playing SGs.

Is the signature guitar also a lefthanded model? :D

9. I am a guitar player more than I am a bass player and, modesty aside, tend to know my stuff about gutiar gear better than bass gear.

IMHO, the Gibson signature models--Iommi, Betts, Page, etcetera-- are very ovepriced. Given the specifics of the Iommi signature, I would get a regular SG or '60s SG reissue. It's not even a matter of having the money but a matter of bang for the buck and principle. Would you pay $7.00 for a signature cup of coffee? The bang for the buck simply is not there.

Sorry if I seem a bit preachy.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A little back-scratching with JimS here - any of this "signature" stuff is, largely, IMO & IME, bollocks, as they say in England.

They ain't what "Joe 12-fingers" plays. Joe 12-fingers' axe is so modded and hot-rodded by a tech that it doesn't resemble that thing on the Musician's Friend website or the wall at Guitar Center once you get inside of it. Plus, if you've ever read copies of "Tone Quest Report" even lesser-known groups like Kentucky Headhunters use amps that are tweaked out the kazoo.

The signature axes may be specially tweaked a bit, (often hotter pickups), but "signature" gear is typically the Marketing boys/ girls running a game on the naive on the innocent, IME & IMO. That's one reason why so many big names hire specific techs. There may be a few exceptions out there, I don't know since I haven't tried them all.

Preach on, Jim.

11. Thanks, Rickbass.

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    jim s ur not snobby at all

yeh i aint that sure bout him playin a les paul all the videos i hav of them he is playin a sg

this is a right handed one black 2 humbuckers dinno how much tho i dont like it as much as jimmy page's guitar(s)
    he has a double necked sg and a les paul i think

i think ill make my mate to buy a les paul maybe not the same as jp but another good model coz his is like 7 grand and he doesnt hav that much and is a bit too much to spend on for a 2nd guitar

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Jimmy Page played Les Paul Custom, Les Paul 335, a modded Les Paul Custom and quite a few others live, but most of his recorded stuff was played on a Telecaster I think.

14. To me, Iommi's "real" signature guitar is an SG-style guitar made by a luthier in England named John Birch. It's the one i saw him play on the Technical Ecstacy tour...

[​IMG]

here is an excerpt from a recent interview :

Tony, which of your many SG-like guitars are you using these days?

Tony: For this record I used the JD, which I've used for years. It's basically a Gibson shape but it isn't a Gibson. Everybody THOUGHT it was a Gibson. I have got an old red Gibson that I started off with. Gibson did, in fact, build me a guitar a couple of years ago. It is really nice. I approached them to make me a guitar-a production model- and they were interested but we never could seem to get together. So this company in Birmingham approached me to do it and so we've done it with them. Now I've got an Eggle guitar. It's a different sort of design. I've been in the factory working to get the shape and feel right. It will be called the Iommi Legend. I wanted them to do an SG originally. We came up with more of a contoured and bigger body so it's similar to a Paul Reed Smith, I suppose. I've got my own JD pickups, which are going to be put on the production model as well. The production model will be exactly the same as the one I'm using on stage. Right-handed will be no extra charge laughs. We've been working on it for a while and I'll be using that one on tour as well with me new Laney amps. I got together with them to design a new amp. Up till then I'd been using Marshalls and Boogies. I think I've picked the best of the stuff that worked on those and put it into the Laney amplifier. For effects I use a short delay, a wah and a chorus. The ones I have now are built into a big board. I use the rack-mounted delay. I've got some DigiTech stuff.

Geezer: I like to use the Ampeg SVT, especially for live. I use EV speakers because I keep blowing up everything else. Only EV's can stand what I put through them. I use Viger basses mainly for the live show. In the studio I use Spectre and Status. I love Spectre basses but then they went bust so I can't get any custom ones. I went on to Viger and they were really helpful. Fender asked me to use a Fender Precision. I said it's got to be 24 frets to start. "Oh no-this is what you get." Bollocks" Viger said, "What do you want?" I said, "This is the basic thing-redesign it for me."

(above snippet borrowed from Black-Sabbath.com)

from Guitar World August 1992 p. 70:

Tony Iommi: ...So I put the money up and bought my own guitar company. I hired a fellow named John Birch to design whatever I needed. John, incidentally, made my first 24-fretguitar. I had approached Gibson, and they said, "We can't make a 24-fret instrument, we're not interested." As soon as they said "can't," I said, "That's it, I'm going to do it."

So I got John, who was a bit eccentric, and he said, "I'll have a go at that." So he made this guitar, which I've still got at home. Next I said, "This is great! Now we've got to design our own pickup." So we went through a period of trying
    different pickups. John would wind each one differently. And when we found a pickup we really liked, we'd make a few that were very similar. They were never exactly the same, but similar.