1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it a good idea to buy used?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheNewB, May 20, 2019.

1. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    I'v been playing for around 3 years, so I guess that makes me a novice I think. Anyway, I'm still stuck with my 10 watt practice amp. The problem is pretty self explanatory. So I've been searching around for a good deal on a new amp and stumbled upon a Hartke HD150 in the local pawnshop for 277,98 USD. If that number seems random, it's cuz I live in South Africa. Anyway, should I take it? It's less than half of what a new one costs and looks like it's in pretty good condition. A few smudges on the outside, but nothing alarming. I played a little bit and it sounds really nice. No sparks or hissing. What do you guys think?

JRA and Turbo Sparky like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It's generally a good idea to buy used, yes, you can save a lot of money. Pawnshops can be "hit or miss" in terms of quality, but if it works, sounds like it might be a decent deal (no clue what "going market prices" are in SA).

TomB likes this.
  3. I like used stuff. In general, more used means more usable. Don't forget to try it at full volume, and try the direct out connector (plug it to the mix). Check for unwanted noises, hum etc. It's solid state, no tubes, these amps can work for many years.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's a good deal if the amp is in working order. If not, you just wasted 277,98 USD.

With used gear, especially electronic, I prefer buying from a more trusted source than a pawnshop.

roberts67, srayb and fhm555 like this.
  5. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    1.1.bholder-T going price is 625 USD
    2.jj.883- I maxed the volume, but didn't play anything, cuz I didn't want to upset anyone, and that's when it made a static hum. From my limited experience this is normal for when amps are pushed to there limit.
    3.Bulldag5151- I tried to get as close a look as possible, even peeping thrue the vent holes, and everything looks in order. All the sticker in the outside look as new as the day they slapped on, all the knobs were clean and smooth, and from small glimpses of the internals, I didn't see any burnt soldering.
    4.Are these good sines or do they mean nothing?

6. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    Also, thank you all for the quick replies :D

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    You need to play through it to test it out. Not at max volume, but at least turn it up some and play for a minute. Move all the knobs while playing and make sure they all work. Ask the shopkeeper first, of course.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Agreed. I wouldn't touch it without a decent workout.

9. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    Okay:thumbsup: I'll go back to the store later this week and test it some more:bassist: I might even convince my dad to pay for it:D

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Used basses have been my go to forever, but once i got to where i could afford to buy new amps and cabinets i pretty much do. That said, every amp i’m using these days was bought used but the exception to me buying new is price. If i can get a killer deal on a used amp and it works, i’ll gopher it, but it has got to be a fire sale price.

11. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Hartke is good stuff....

Cardsfan_69, MynameisMe and BOOG like this.
  12. Some hum is normal. What I had in mind is trying to find out whether the speaker is not damaged, or some part of the box got loose. You find it when you play it on high (let's say band with drums) volume. Play halftones from E to ca G string. If nothing unexpectedly starts to resonate, hum, rattle and so, then everything is alright.

Same with the line out. You're looking for whether there is too much hum, or whether the signal is abnormally poor. Can be tested when plugged into mix (or soundcard). If you don't plan to go on stage or to record, then it's not necessary.

I had two used rigs in my life that worked for years with no more problems than the new ones.

TheNewB likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I think you've found yourself a good deal @TheNewB. Hartke HD150 combos have a good reputation. Sounds like you have checked it out very well. I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come.

EatS1stBassist and TheNewB like this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I prefer used in good shape. Can save a lot of money. I've done so much wheeling and dealing the last 15 years my head is still spinning. Most of my PA gear was bought brand new though except the mixer and Sub. Very few of my basses were new. There's a huge used market here in the states.

MynameisMe likes this.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The problem with some parts of South Africa is parts and repairs. A major city is fine. A remote area is a different story. If you can’t perform maintenance or repair the electronics yourself, you’ll need to find a good affordable tech. Or be prepared to write off a broken amp.

The advantage of a new amp is that it comes with a warranty and support. That comes at a price.

You should weigh the pros and cons between new and used in the context of where you live and what services are available.

16. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Almost always, yes.

17. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    When buying something used it is needed to be double checked.

18. Not a bad thing as long as you're able to check it out before purchase, it's obviously not a POS or you buy from a reputable seller that includes some sort of buyer protection.

19. TheNewB

TheNewB

Apr 15, 2019
    Whoooooa, 17 replies?! :woot:This is more than I've ever gotten before. Don't worry I read all of 'em;) Thanks to everyone for their answer. I'll give the amp another look, but my dad would much rather I buy new. I'll let you know how it turns out:bassist:

20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    If the Springbok likes it, get it.
    If it sounds decent, it fits your range, and it does NOT distort when bumping the bassEQ, and is otherwise in working order, then why not?
    Last year, I picked up a used GK MB210 combo for $250 (USD), and it ROCKS for rehearsals in a loud Post-HC/Punk trio.
    Pinch and save for the next move-up; go for it.

TheNewB likes this.