1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it a good idea to major in finance and then go on to law school?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tehuberc, Mar 22, 2009.

1. tehuberc

tehuberc

Mar 1, 2007
    ?

2. Isn't it a better idea to major in law?

3. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    No such thing, except for maybe pre-law programs.

Whatever the case, finance is probably better than my plan. I'm majoring in philosophy and music performance in preparation for law school.

4. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I don't know see why not, especially the field of law you're looking into might have to deal with financial things and what not. Hey and at least if the law thing doesn't work out you still have a background to fall back on, my political science friends are kind of the opposite right now XD.

5. Philosophy is quite common as a major before law school. It makes sense to me.

lowsound

6. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    studying logic and argumentation is good preparation for the lsat, but if you know what kind of law you want to go into, (finance for the oP?) you might go for a minor in philosophy. Or major in philosophy and realize you don't want to go to law school ;)

7. You can never go wrong with philosophy and logic is something that most people don't understand, so studying that will make you stand out in a crowd. Just don't start breaking down people's arguments by saying stuff like "If p then q. Not p. Therefore, not q", use actual words.

lowsound

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not a bad idea at all. My brother went from systems engineering to intellectual property law.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Sure. You can get a cushy job as a member of Congress.

10. I am majoring in Psychology and going to Law School.

Common Majors are usually Poly Sci, History, English, etc..

Doesn't really matter though, as long as you're well rounded.

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    A lot of lawyers got degrees in accounting and became CPAs breifly before law school

12. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    ExPhil and ExFac is obligatory over here o_O

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You can go to law school with any undergraduate degree, you just have to get into grad school.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That and poli sci.

I have a friend that's doing biology and law, she wants to go into environmental law. Any my brother-in-law did engineering before law school, and now does patent law.

15. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Study music!

16. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    You'll have to take a chunk of economics in the process of getting a degree in finance. I always recommend anything that gets more people to take economics. Go for it.