Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it a real 72 Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Droog, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Ok, so I am looking around at the local shop that I dig. Come across a nice looking vintage J bass. Tag says 72 and they want $2200 for. Not that I am interested in the purchase, but I was playing it a bit (sweet) but I noticed the neck was a 4 bolt. Now my understanding is that the J bass was 3 bolt up untill 78 or so. So what do you guys think? I brought it to the attention of one of the guys, and never got an answer. Interesting!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    3 bolt necks started in 1975. It's also not uncommon to find 4 bolt 75 necks so that 72 4 bolt jazz may be correct. Do your homework, check serial number and other identifying marks. Ask to see the neck unbolted if you are interested in buying the bass.

3. The 4 bolt is correct. 3 bolts were introduced in 75 but I've seen some late year 74's that have bullet truss rods.

Jeff

4. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
  5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I got it. Jazz basses did not have a 3 bolt from the beginning, just for a couple of years in the mid 70's. What the hell for? Wouldn't it be more cost effectice to have never changed to begin with?

6. Fender never used the 3 bolt on the Pbass.

Jeff

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think what Fender was trying to do was replace the need of "shims" that were place in the neck joint to angle the neck better for lower action. The "micro tilt" adjustment does away with the need for neck shims. Some people complain about 3 bolt necks not being stable but I have never had any problems with any of my 3 bolt necks. Fenders overall suffered around 74 into the 80's with a only a few jems to be found.

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, I learning that the late 70's and early 80's basses are not that sought after. Why is it that they suffered, not just because of the whole shim issue I assume? Sounds like the 3 bolt idea was an attempt to get some product interest, when they were floundering.

9. I played a '72 as my main bass for about 10 years. It had 4 bolts, and a bound rosewood fretboard with block inlays. I have owned a couple of 3 bolt Jazzes and never experienced any stability problems with them.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Around 74-75 Fender was experiencing aweful quality control. Along with that they started to use a lot of ash for their bodies as apposed to the alder from the 60's into the early 70's. The ash was significantly heavier and faithful Fender lovers didn't like that, not only that but the electronics started to suffer. I tried out a new jazz at Sam Ash back in 76-77 and it was a Fender but it sucked big time! I asked the salesman about the bass and was told that many suppliers had stopped ordering new Fenders across the board because they all had ground, intonation and problems with sloppy workmanship. He told me that 95% of them would come back with most being shipped back to Fender to be repaired. Fender at that time was owned by CBS broadcasting and CBS couldn'd care less how to run a musical instrument company, and it showed in the mid to late 70's into the early 80's.
    The reason why bassist love basses from those years is the pup placement had changed to 4 inches apart with the bridge pup being closer to the bridge than previous basses thus changing the sound. I love the 70's style jazz basses because I think they are the funkiest basses out there----- a 70's passive jazzbass :D
    Hope this helps.

BTW I actaully seen a 79 jazz bass with the "G" string over the bottom of the fretboard and the neck pocket you could have put all your business cards in, I'm talking totally cockeyed! But it was one of the best sounding jazzes I ever heard. The owner told me it was 100% original.

11. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I see! I did not realize that CBS botched up the company so bad. Thanks for the info, its good to know. I always wondered why you can always find late 70's fenders for so cheap, relatively speaking.