1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it a serious matter on the neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pneumobear, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pneumobear

pneumobear

Mar 27, 2009
    Hi I'm new in here, doont really know much 'bout bass guitars.
    Just bought a 2nd hand MIM Jazz bass, theres a little bit of uneven feel on a tiny spot behind the neck,on the center 'line' found on most bass guitars.
    Technician told me it will be a serious matter in future when sweat and etc gets on it, already a slight sign of the neck deteriorating. Is that true?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I think that you meant to post this as a new thread instead of a reply to an old thread.

I copied this to a new thread for you. Let's see if you get some responses now.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't know if it's necessarily a sign of the neck "deteriorating"... could be just a dent from when it bumped against an amp or table. My guess is the technician wanted to find some "proof" that the MIM bass was lower quality than the MIA, or something like that.

4. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    well...

"a little bit of uneven feel on a tiny spot behind the neck ,on the center line"

if it's a tiny spot, that seems like an insignificant thing. seems!!! I'd definitely get the neck replaced, and pay that particular tech to do the job. After all, that is how they make money, and you wouldn't want to deprive him/her of income or of the chance to show you how much he/she knows and then maybe you can just buy a new bass from his/her shop instead, as that one spot might really drag you down at some unforseen point. Really drag you down. You never know when a tiny wet spot can ruin your night... errr... sleep. hell, you can even start driving him/her to work in the mornings, picking him/her up, and then you could also !@#$!@#$ wait a sec, don't want to get carried away ;)

sarcasm aside, don't mean to offend, I'd never see that tech again if they were trying to do some sort of sell job because of this issue. If you are really worried about it, I'd sand it, and put a coat of laquer on the neck so "sweat" doesn't get in. That's all they do at the factory on fresh wood. But do some research to find out what kind of finish you should put on (maybe it isn't actually laquer but some sort of clear finish, etc.) But if sweat does get in, it would just swell the wood a bit, and shouldn't intefere with the truss rod anyways... so I'd say you're safe, unless the wood becomes raw and rotting or something, which seems unlikely. It's secondhand anyways, so you are "free" to even sand it down and re-finish it - ie. you aren't likely to return it to the shop within 30 days (or whatever it is) for a refund.