Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it active...or not???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp_spanner, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Hey all. This is a very dense question, but I just wanted to check. When a bass is active...does this mean that the pickups are passive, and the EQ and pickup mix controls are powered? im considering the YamahaRBX775 and just wanted to make sure it's properly active. Sorry if its a dense question, but any help would be cool. Also any opinions on this bass would be helpful too!

Laters all

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think a bass is active when it have:

1.- Active Pickups, that is, the pickups have a circuit which needs batteries to work (usually 9 or 18 volts) .....

or

2.- Active EQ (pre-amp), that is, an onboard EQ circuit which needs batteries to work (usually 9 or 18 volts)...

or

3.- Both 1 and 2.

Nacho.:oops:

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    here are the specs for the 775a...

click me

P@

4. :confused: hmm ok a little more confused as the Yamaha.com cites the bass as having 2 humbucking pickups with no mention of active electronics, while the Yamaha Europe website boasts about "versatile active" sounds. Hmm, well I think I'll just have to take a leap of faith. I'm probably being way too overcautious. If it says active, then it most likely is. And I doubt they'd bother making an active bass that isnt QUITE active.

Thanx anyway though! I just hope its as cool as it seems. :)

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    sorry about the uselessness of the link... Yamaha usually has better info about there stuff, but you could probably find a link on the site to contact Yamaha and ask them...

P@