1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it always about bass for you?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Nov 26, 2018.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Do you ever listen to music that has simple, weak or buried bass? As a bass player thats a big thing in music, esp good tone. For example, i don't much like queeensryche (spelled wrong?) But i will listen to it for the bass alone. On the other hand, i love Danzig, Samhain, and others with what i feel to be very "weak " bass.
    Currious how other bass guys are with this.

Ellery and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I love good songs. Sure, it's a bonus for me if a good song happens to have a great bass line and fantastic tone. But it's not required. A good song is a good song.

3. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Good song is a good song.
    Love the White Stripes, and The Doors for example (no bassist)

4. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I see some guys get so hung up on stuff, made me wonder if others feel like i do. Guess so.

5. No.

As a bassist, I definitely collect recordings and performances that feature great bass lines, but there's also a lot of stuff out there that knocks me out without any low frequency content at all.

However, the third route that you mention (bass instrument present, but buried in the mix) flips me out.

It's kind of a problem, given that I play a lot of church music. Crap basslines and mixes are an epidemic in those circles at the moment...

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  6. /\/\3phist0

220px-Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover.
    No bass heard here!

7. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    And ya know what? I first heard this album when it came out, i was a drummer then and i thought it was crushing. Didn't even notice any bass issue.

Mertle72 likes this.
  8. Bass makes a bad song OK, an OK song good, and a good song great. IMO YMMV.

9. /\/\3phist0

Of course not, it's non existent. Lars had Bob all but remove Jason from the mix

MTN.bass72, Artman and wolfkeller like this.
  10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    No. For me, it's about the entire aural experience.

A great bass line will entice me, sure, but the sound of Sonny Rollins blowing over Blue 7 or anything Steve Gadd plays on will always catch my attention. There's more to music than just bass, so I try to experience it.

11. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    i'm listening to... Music. Bass is a part of music. I like to listen to good bass parts, bassists etc.. But the first thing that is catching me is Music, not the bass part.

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There’s plenty of great records that don’t have or feature great bass performances. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to whoever got the job done.

wmmj and wolfkeller like this.
  13. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Not entirely true regarding The Doors, they had no live bass player but there studio albums had a bassist on.
    However I do get the point you are making that it is about the song.

bobyoung53, HolmeBass, Artman and 2 others like this.
  14. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I didn't until I actually started playing bass, in terms of actual low end there is a fair bit from the scooped guitar eq, now that I play bass and my ears are more well tuned I notice that the guitars on AJFA are horribly boomy.

wolfkeller likes this.
  15. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Yup, was the same for me.

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Bass Sex and drugs for me:woot::roflmao:

wolfkeller likes this.
  17. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I love metal, classic rock and old prog. There are some awesome bassists in those genres, of course, but when I wanna hear really great bass, then I listen to jazz. Marcus, Jaco, Ray Brown, etc.

BazzaBass, Artman and Mili like this.
  18. I barely listen for bass parts in music unless I am explicitly trying to learn the song. Vocals, for me, are the most significant part of any song (outside of instrumental music of course) and are definitely what I focus on for the most part.

retslock, juancaminos, City and 2 others like this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play in churches. I don’t always play exactly whats on the record. Sometimes, we want a tune to have drive all the way through, so I play more. Sometimes, it works to play less.

It’s not about me. Or the bass line. It’s about an experience for the congregation, and the music supports that.

The most engaging part of a good song is the vocals - they’re the face in the Mona Lisa. We paint the background. And maybe shake the place a bit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    basslifter, ak56, two fingers and 2 others like this.
  20. So what you're saying is, we're Mona Lisa's booty.