1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it bad for strings to hit P pickups?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by djddanman, May 2, 2018.

1. djddanman

djddanman

May 2, 2018
    When I strike the strings on my Squier PJ bass hard enough, they hit my P pickup, especially on the E and A strings. I've noticed some wear on the neck side of the pickup as a result. I actually like the resulting sound so I don't want to change anything, but I'm wondering if I risk damaging the pickup (beyond cosmetics) if I don't lower it. Thanks!

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’d be more concerned with damaging my amp with the loud pops that come with strings hitting the pickups. Or damaging my reputation by becoming known as the guy who’s strings make the loud pop that results from the strings hitting the pickups.

walterw likes this.
  3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Look up some clips of Doug Johns if you want to see a guy who does that a lot as well (intentionally) and sounds great. I believe he sometimes epoxies his pickup covers as otherwise he melts through them too fast.

4. djddanman

djddanman

May 2, 2018
    Thanks! I don't get many loud pops unless the gain is cranked up. I'll have to look up Doug Johns

5. Yes , it's bad for strings to hit any pick ups. Lower the pick ups.

6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    If it sounds great and it's done in good taste, there is no problems with strings hitting the pickups. But, if it sounds like crap and makes the song sound like crap, it's a huge problem that needs to be fixed.

As for it damaging the pickup cover, not a real issue. It adds to the mojo and natural wear on the guitar vs the fake relic.

7. djddanman

djddanman

May 2, 2018
    Yeah, if my gain and tone are both up it sounds awful, but with a little tweaking I get my favorite bass sound