1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it bad if...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by officialjlox, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I was accidentally sold and installed "long scale" Roto 77's on my MIM J? Nothing in particular looks out of the ordinary until you get to the low E.

By the peg, the red cloth covered section gets "thicker" right before the string, and that thick part is partially wrapped around the peg.

Also, the cloth covered section at the bottom of the string is on top of the bridge saddle, with the "thick" part where the string actually forms just past it.

Am I doing any damage to my bass by doing this? Am I in danger of the low E snapping due to misplacement and taking out someone's eye? (mine)

2. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    You won't hurt the bass. The string might break but it's on and paid for so leave it and maybe it won't. Flats are more sensitive to this than rounds in my experience.

3. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I wouldnt worry about it, I have had a couple of basses like that, and the string has never broken (come to think of it I have never broken a string :smug:). You bought long scale strings which is correct for the bass, so they cant be that far off.

4. I just saw this now... my MIM jazz is a 34" scale. I thought long scale would be considered for 35" ?

I'm going to change my strings when I get my new BAII bridge in the mail, because although I love the feel of the flats, they don't apply to my sound well, so I'm switching back to brighter strings.

5. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i have put long scale strings on my bass on accident & it was not right at all. i use DR's so they are different but in my case it scewed my intonation up like you wouldn't believe.

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    34" is classed as long scale. I believe 35" also is. If not they may be classed as extra long, but 35" scale basses take the same long scale strings (most of them anyway), but if you were to string through the body on 35" basses you would need super long strings.

Hope this helps.