Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is it bad that I just don't "get" David Bowie?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jun 27, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Amongst my friends, alot seem to praise David Bowie. I just don't understand why. His music just doesn't strike anything within me. Perhaps he's praise-worthy on looks alone? Could someone explain? I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND! :bawl: :bag:

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Why do you need to, you either like something or not, it doesn't mean you are right or wrong. Trying to like something because some else tells you you should like it isn't a good reason to like something. Are there bands / artists that you like that they don't or is it just David Bowie. I will say that David Bowie has written some songs I like, but he has written some that I don't. Hell I'm not "in to" most of the "favorites" that the majority here seem to rave about, but I can still appreciate their opinions and taste. I don't have to dig everything anyone else digs and no one has to dig what I dig; and that's what makes it interesting.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's not something wrong with you; Bowie has alot of material, and it all sounds pretty different from album to album. You may have just heard some stuff that didn't strike you, but there's lots that's great. Heck, even I don't like all of it.

I've really been getting into his most recent work. Heathen, Reality, Earthling... fantastic stuff. Heroes is also great classic Bowie, and of course you can't go wrong with Ziggy Stardust. It's hard to digest an artist as eclectic and prolific as Bowie - it's like trying to judge King Crimson or Frank Zappa by listening to one album. You kind of have to reserve judgment until you heard alot of it.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    HAHAHAH. Yes, David Bowie is the sexiest man ever.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not as bad as not knowing the difference between "Miscellaneous" and "Off-Topic" after being a member for two years... :p

7. I'm afraid of David Bowie.

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Does it help to say it was a judgement call? :p

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I dont "get" alot of bands/artists. You know, the ones always listed as the "all time greats" or "most influential" fail to excite me in the least. Bands/artists like the Beatles, John Lennon, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Hendrix etc...... I just dont see what the big deal is. If I never heard another song from any of these I wouldnt lose a minute of sleep.

Zips up Nomex suit............ :bag:

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Bob Dylan and Hendrix suck.

11. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    gaaaasp!!!!!!!! Bob Dylan doesn't suck. :bawl:
    and Hendrix is alright.

12. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    oh yeah...bowie sucks. Except for 'Heroes'...just for one day.
    Of course, I probably only fel this way because I had friends who tried to force feed me his music.( notice had ) :scowl:

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like Bowie. Suffragette City and Space Oddity are my favorites.

14. Yes I'm Afraid it is :D

Seriously his earlier stuff rocks so hard it makes me feel like Jack Black (re School Of Rock) just from listening to it :p

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of course if none of those artists had come along, all rock and roll would sound like Fabian :D

Even if you don't like them (your choice, doesn't bother me) they really WERE "most influential".

As far as Mr. Bowie, count me in with those who said they like some but not all of this stuff. He's covered a wide range of styles over the years: prog rock, glam/punk, electronica/experimental, funk/disco, singer/songwriter pop...

He's another "influential" artist (to say the least) although he's had less impact since the dawn of the 90s. It's hard to imagine the punk/new wave movement of the 70s and 80s without him.

Heck, "influential" by itself certainly doesn't imply good or bad. Black Sabbath and Madonna both qualify 100% and I dislike them both.

16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

:eyebrow: uhhh yeah, Hendrix sucks........

cmon now, Electric Lady Land... have you heard it?

I can't understand this. :confused:

are you guys french or somthing?

(no beef bud man)

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First, you have to figure out "which Bowie" you're talking about. The man has reinvented himself a number of times and would reappear every few years in a totally new persona performing totally different music.

Ex. - Listening to "All the Young Dudes," then "Suffragette City," then "Changes", then "Golden Years," it's hard to believe these hits, which are stylistcally so different, were all composed by the same man, Bowie.

One of the big attractions, historically and musically, about Bowie was always.........whatever he was doing was years ahead of mainstream music.
    He's been a trendsetter throughout his career. He's one of those who "leads the way" instead of following some reliable formula.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    BTW, nice words/thoughts in the TB newsletter/e-mail. Awesome stuff!
    ;)

Didn't Bowie give Luther Vandross a big career break with "Young Americans"?

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He certainly gave Stevie Ray Vaughn his big break. Bowie has always had an eye for talent; he's had some GREAT musicians in his bands over the years.

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Coming from one of the most musically knowledgeable people, IMO, I know, that is high praise to me. Thank you so much, Jim!!!!

...........but, in hindsight, maybe it was too bad I decided to leave out all the "dirt that sells" :eek: