1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is it bad to boost EQ like this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badboy1984, Feb 25, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Is it bad to boost bass and low mid only?

Cause i like the deep thick sound, i hope it won't cause too much damage to the amp or speaker by boosting the 2 EQ only and cut the others EQ completely.

2. The question can't be answered as asked - except that cutting all frequencies except two is generally not necessary unless you're in a very unusual acoustic situation.

Specifics......

Amp make and model?
    Type of controls?
    Frequencies cut and enhanced?

3. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    As long as your speakers aren't distorting, you aren't causing any damage. It's as simple as that.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

5. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Wat kinda sound r you trying 2 achieve having no treble?

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    It depend which bass i play on the rig really.
    I use a ashdown Electric 180 amp.

When use my G&L Tribute L2500 and Warwick Corvette, i have to cut the bass and boost low mid and little treble since those 2 bass is have that in your face tone without doing much to it.

But when i plug my fender jazz in the amp, i usually cut the treble, high mid and middle to nothing. Put the bass knob on full and low mid between 12 or 2 and push the deep buttom to get me that deep punch sound.

Pretty much same setting on my MXR M-80 DI when i use the EQ on the box instead of the amp EQ.

7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Is it bad? Carrots! :bag:

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The only negative I can see for you is if you run out of volume.low end eats up power fast but if you aren't having any trouble that way you should be fine.

9. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I tend to do the same thing with my EQ as almost any treble at all picks up too much pick scraping and finger sliding on my rounds. Sounds cheesy to me - you don't hear this in studio recordings. However, my mids are REALLY boosted.